Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to my primary school for my year 10 work experience and was wondering if this was okay to email them or not.

Dear sir/madam,
    I am currently a year 10 student at ____________, and I am writing to ask if there is a possibility that I would be able to do my work experience at ___________, from the _____to the ______

I would like to do my work experience at ______________ as it was the primary school I went to, also I live locally so it would be very easy for me to make my own way there in the mornings and back home in the afternoons. I also aspire to be a paediatrician in the future and I believe that it would be good practise working with younger children.

I look forward to your reply and any other information I may need concerning my placement.
    Yours sincerely,

Is there any unnecessary detail there or do I sound stupid or anything I should change about the email. any feedback would be helpful.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    i was always told you should be looking at what you can do for them not what they can do for you.
    It comes across as though you just fancy work experience, but dont have anything to offer. The fact its easy for you to get to or you think it will advance your career doesnt make me wnat to hire you.

If you dont know the name of the person you are writing to then its yours faithfully.

Maybe rewrite it to put the emphasis on theschool and working with kids as well as what you have to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    i was always told you should be looking at what you can do for them not what they can do for you.
    It comes across as though you just fancy work experience, but dont have anything to offer. The fact its easy for you to get to or you think it will advance your career doesnt make me wnat to hire you.

If you dont know the name of the person you are writing to then its yours faithfully.

Maybe rewrite it to put the emphasis on theschool and working with kids as well as what you have to offer.
    Thanks for the advice, however I must remind you that it is work experience for my school, I do not feel that saying how I would like to further my carrer can be a bad thing as it is not like after the week is over I'm just going to stay there. surly saying how it relates to my future plans isn't a bad thing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Charlotte6745)
    Thanks for the advice, however I must remind you that it is work experience for my school, I do not feel that saying how I would like to further my carrer can be a bad thing as it is not like after the week is over I'm just going to stay there. surly saying how it relates to my future plans isn't a bad thing.
    Sorry I mistook it I thought it was just the school you went to as a child, nit the one you were currently at.

Nope its fine to lead in with your ambitions and why you think experience of a primary school would be good experience. Just the way you write it shouldnt come across as though its just a shopping list.

Why not ask adbice from the nursing, medicine and social care forums so they can give you feedback to make sure you get the balance right.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Have a look at these sample letters and it might give you a better idea. The reason to take care is becayse plenty of students dont manage to find what they need and then end up posting here in frustration. Its worth the effort.

https://fluencycdn.fluencycms.co.uk/...te%20stuff.pdf

https://www.school-portal.co.uk%2FGr...ODYn2A&cad=rja

https://swansea-edunet.gov.uk/en/sch...20template.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.