Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to take up an Open University course transferring credits and starting with the level 2 modules. I wish to get the honours degree as fast as possible, so ideally wish to study the full 120 credits each year.

I currently work over 20 hours per week, and manage to support myself with a 1-bedroom flat - but I'm thinking about moving back home with my parents so that by the time I complete my degree, all the money I would have spent on rent I'll have saved for a deposit.

I can get a transfer with work, but I'm also pondering the idea of looking for a full time 9-5ish Mon-Fri job in office/admin/marketing/finance or something. (It's a possibility I guess) to give me more work experience and earning a full time wage.

I've heard of people successfully juggling full time open uni with full time work, but equally I've heard of people having to drop credits, move to part time, etc. because the workload is too much. So I'm looking for individual experiences of working full time or near full time whilst studying with the OU?

I wouldn't dare do it with shift work, but having a 9-5 routine may make it feasible, especially if I start 60 credits in Oct and another 60 in Feb so there is only a 4 month overlap of full time study. (Though I'd get no holiday). Does anyone have an opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    I'm planning to take up an Open University course transferring credits and starting with the level 2 modules. I wish to get the honours degree as fast as possible, so ideally wish to study the full 120 credits each year.

I currently work over 20 hours per week, and manage to support myself with a 1-bedroom flat - but I'm thinking about moving back home with my parents so that by the time I complete my degree, all the money I would have spent on rent I'll have saved for a deposit.

I can get a transfer with work, but I'm also pondering the idea of looking for a full time 9-5ish Mon-Fri job in office/admin/marketing/finance or something. (It's a possibility I guess) to give me more work experience and earning a full time wage.

I've heard of people successfully juggling full time open uni with full time work, but equally I've heard of people having to drop credits, move to part time, etc. because the workload is too much. So I'm looking for individual experiences of working full time or near full time whilst studying with the OU?

I wouldn't dare do it with shift work, but having a 9-5 routine may make it feasible, especially if I start 60 credits in Oct and another 60 in Feb so there is only a 4 month overlap of full time study. (Though I'd get no holiday). Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    Full time is tough, remember to factor in travelling times as well in the rush hour. I'd stick to 20 hours or halve the credits if you're desperate for full time.

Also check your module start dates because most modules only start in October now as February starts are being phased out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)

(Original post by SuperCat007)
    Full time is tough, remember to factor in travelling times as well in the rush hour. I'd stick to 20 hours or halve the credits if you're desperate for full time.

Also check your module start dates because most modules only start in October now as February starts are being phased out.
    I'd second what SuperCat says.

Factor in other time too. I've done 90 credits at once before and I work a 9-5 job (well 7.30-4ish) and after take into account travel times, personally I have a dog to walk so that eats a chunk of time, then making my tea (or dinner whatever you want to call it ) and cleaned up it's getting on later in the evening and starting studying at 7.30,8pm etc is not always something I fancy doing so I don't do it every night. In an ideal world I'd be more organised, have a schedule, have dinners ready etc.. but doesn't always work like that.

If you fall behind because of illness or some other reason it means you have a lot more to catch up on so trying to get ahead is always advised. It's bad enough doing it for one module which is what I'm currently doing.

Full 120 credits at level one is the most doable. Level 3 the intensity ramps up and they are more important as they are the main deciders in your degree classification (level 2 is used but level 3 is worth double) whereas level one you just need passes. And it can soon get overwhelming. So take into account the balance of time taken to do the degree and what could give you the best possible grades. As you may finish a degree in 3 years but with a worse classification than if you split a year up and took a bit more time. Not saying that's always the case (or that it's right for you) but it just means you can devote more time to fewer modules than you can with a full course load around working which is bound to help. So comes down to what you personally want; degree sooner or take a bit of time to improve chances/reduce stress lol!

Plus you want to have some sort of life otherwise can go a bit stir crazy! And factor in your schedule going to pot as it does happen, life has a habit of getting in the way! If you work full time and study full time there isn't much leeway.

Also like SuperCat says modules are moving over to Oct starts only for a lot of subjects beyond level one so staggering modules so they have a few weeks/months overlap instead of running alongside is becoming less possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.