Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    right, I am applying to join the RAF but I need a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. I would like to go to university to do Aerospace Engineering so I applied for a UCAS form to be sent out to me. Problem is it still hasnt arrived and its due on the 30th isnt it? I cant apply online because I am 20 and havent been in education for over two years. Also how do I apply for student loans/grants/etc. and when is the closing date for that? How does clearing work? I am very confused as I have never applied to university before and don't have a clue so any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you should do about not getting the form yet, but there's info about Clearing here. You'd still need to contact your old school/college to get them to write a reference though. Also, the deadline for applying for financial support is the 2nd of July. For that, you'd need a form from your LEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    right, I am applying to join the RAF but I need a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. I would like to go to university to do Aerospace Engineering so I applied for a UCAS form to be sent out to me. Problem is it still hasnt arrived and its due on the 30th isnt it? I cant apply online because I am 20 and havent been in education for over two years. Also how do I apply for student loans/grants/etc. and when is the closing date for that? How does clearing work? I am very confused as I have never applied to university before and don't have a clue so any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    OK- i suggest you phone UCAS first thing on monday morning and tell them you have not received the form...they will tell you if and how you can still apply. It may be you have to go through clearing or something....they will also tell you about clearing... http://www.ucas.com might give you some answers...

OK- loans and grant...all the info is http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsupport
    you need to apply through your local education authority...details can be found on the above website...you will need to fill in forms etc, they will tell you which ones and when they need to be in by...i think it is the PN1 and it has to be in by July, but I'm not 100% sure...

Good Luck!

Ruthie xx
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    not much time then! so if I havent applied through UCAS can I still go into clearing? I don't know much about tuition fees in England for Scottish people and I was considering applying down there so is it quite expensive? Do many Engineering courses usually come up on clearing? Uh I am so confused!!

ReputationRep:
    For a loan and stuff, I think you can apply late but it means you won't get it at the start of the academic year.

ReputationRep:
    not much time then! so if I havent applied through UCAS can I still go into clearing? I don't know much about tuition fees in England for Scottish people and I was considering applying down there so is it quite expensive? Do many Engineering courses usually come up on clearing? Uh I am so confused!!
    just make the phone calls in the morning....then you will feel better!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    so I should wait until I have a place before applying for a student loan?

thanks you guys are being a great help!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you apply after the 30th of June, you can go into clearing. Tuition fees are £1000-something a year (they go up every year), but I dunno if that applies to people from Scotland as well.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    jesus thats a lot of money. I've heard that you can get your fees paid for but unless someone knows if scottish people can do that too then I will just have to phone them.

I was never really that interested in going to university before but I quite enjoy the idea now.

ReputationRep:
    so I should wait until I have a place before applying for a student loan?

thanks you guys are being a great help!
    send off for the forms now, but you need to put your most likely uni etc down on the forms so wait until you have applied...but not necessarily got a place...although the student loans people will tell you what would be best. You can always change the details at a later date
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    thanks for your help! I just have one more question. Does anyone know the scottish equilivant to this entry requirement? A/AS level: 160 points

ReputationRep:
    Can you not download the application form from the ucas website?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    no you have to have a code for it that is given to you by an educational institution. Its not open to individuals yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Can you not download the application form from the ucas website?
    They only have a sample form on there.

ReputationRep:
    no you have to have a code for it that is given to you by an educational institution. Its not open to individuals yet
    You could try your local college and just ask for a form there. I know you don't study but these places have loads of forms. A friend of mine did this and he didnt study there. They didn't know this though. Ucas are very unreliable for not sending you the form. If you want i could try and get you a form from my college and send it to you. It's up to you.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I would but unfortunatly Ive had an accident that means I cant leave my house so unfortunatly I will have to phone them tomorrow. but thanks!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.