Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having to decide between MSc Mathematical Finance at either Imperial or LSE Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have a bit of a dilemma. I have the following offers:

Imperial: MSc in Mathematics and Finance- Conditional (2:1)
    LSE: MSc Financial Mathematics- Conditional (1st)
    Kings: MSc Financial Mathematics- Conditional (2:1)

and I am currently still waiting to hear back from Oxford for their Mathematical and Computational Finance MSc. I should have no problem achieving the first, so that isn't a factor. I'm currently at King's studying BSc Mathematics.

I'm thus trying to decide between LSE and Imperial, although if I receive an offer from Oxford I will go there. Unfortunately I will not hear back from Oxford before the deadline for acceptance of my Imperial offer. Therefore I need to decide between LSE and Imperial.

I want to go be a quant, in an area like risk management, I have read that Imperial focuses heavily on the quant/computational side of things whereas LSE more on IBD. However LSE is generally thought as more prestigious and has better connections etc.

What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George1811)
    Ok so I have a bit of a dilemma. I have the following offers:

Imperial: MSc in Mathematics and Finance- Conditional (2:1)
    LSE: MSc Financial Mathematics- Conditional (1st)
    Kings: MSc Financial Mathematics- Conditional (2:1)

and I am currently still waiting to hear back from Oxford for their Mathematical and Computational Finance MSc. I should have no problem achieving the first, so that isn't a factor.

I'm thus trying to decide between LSE and Imperial, although if I receive an offer from Oxford I will go there. Unfortunately I will not hear back from Oxford before the deadline for acceptance of my Imperial offer. Therefore I need to decide between LSE and Imperial.

I want to go be a quant, in an area like risk management, I have read that Imperial focuses heavily on the quant/computational side of things whereas LSE more on IBD. However LSE is generally thought as more prestigious and has better connections etc.

What do people think?
    I think that LSE is not seen as more prestigious as Imperial and I think Imperial is the place to be if you want to become a quant.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you just do an MBA? LSE is the most prestigious out of all of them I'd go there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.