Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year12 and now after lots of changing my mind about various degrees and thinking i reckon that medicine will be the course that I want to pursue.

I do A level maths,biology,Chemistry and History.

But is it too late because i see people with tonnes of work experiance and volunteering and im just here with nothing.
    I plan on doing further reading any book suggestions, somehow getting work experiance and also charity shop jobin the summer
    Need advice plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I am currently in year12 and now after lots of changing my mind about various degrees and thinking i reckon that medicine will be the course that I want to pursue.

But is it too late because i see people with tonnes of work experiance and volunteering and im just here with nothing.
    I plan on doing further reading any book suggestions, somehow getting work experiance and also charity shop jobin the summer
    Need advice plz
    Definitely not too late - you're in year 12, hardly over the hill!

Work experience and volunteering might be more difficult to arrange at this point compared to several months ago, but it's certainly not impossible. It depends on how keen you're willing to be - if you start sending out lots of emails and making phone calls tomorrow to every hospital within a 30 mile radius of your house, there's a decent chance you might get a placement. A few days of work experience is really all you need. Ask any contacts you might have too e.g. distant relatives who work in hospitals, friends' family etc.

Be willing to pester people a bit - if you send an email to a work experience co-ordinator or consultant's secretary and you don't get a reply, send another one or ring them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Definitely not too late - you're in year 12, hardly over the hill!

Work experience and volunteering might be more difficult to arrange at this point compared to several months ago, but it's certainly not impossible. It depends on how keen you're willing to be - if you start sending out lots of emails and making phone calls tomorrow to every hospital within a 30 mile radius of your house, there's a decent chance you might get a placement. A few days of work experience is really all you need. Ask any contacts you might have too e.g. distant relatives who work in hospitals, friends' family etc.

Be willing to pester people a bit - if you send an email to a work experience co-ordinator or consultant's secretary and you don't get a reply, send another one or ring them up.
    So confused about work experience eg. Who to send the emails to. Should i just pester them in person?

ReputationRep:
    Hey im in the process of applying for medicine at the moment and they LOVE voluntary work so if you can try find something like that to give you some experiences that would be a good idea! I just wrote letters to my GPs and applied for a hospital placement - your school might be able to help!

ReputationRep:
    So confused about work experience eg. Who to send the emails to. Should i just pester them in person?
    Go onto hospital websites - very often there will be a work experience section and a co-ordinator you can call or email.

If there isn't, try asking the volunteering department if they know anything about work experience.

If you're still having no luck, start emailing consultants' secretaries with the relevant details i.e. who you are, what you're hoping to do and why, dates you'd be available, etc.

As I say, it's important to not only stick to the hospital down the road. Apply far and wide and keep chasing them up if you find you're not getting any replies.

ReputationRep:

Need advice plz
    Definitely not too late you still have the whole of summer to arrange things. The work experience can be on going even after you've applied.
    Obviously it will help if you knew someone to help you get like hospital work experience and stuff but you have lots of time
    My friend who applied for Medicine this year only decided to apply during the summmer of year 12 and now holds 3 offers after cramming alll her experience and extra curricular stuff in

ReputationRep:

Need advice plz
    how did you do in your GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    how did you do in your GCSE's?
    1a* 4As 6Bs

ReputationRep:

Need advice plz
    I would apply to join St John Ambulance right now as well, because it'll give you volunteering and medical experience, and the chance to get some anecdotes for any interview down the line
    I went on a course before I got my offer, and they said the ideal candidate will have at least (i) voluntary experience (ii) one week with a GP (iii) two one week periods in different areas of hospital medicine.

What are you predicted?

ReputationRep:

Need advice plz
    It is never too late!
    I'm in year 12 and I take the exact SAME alevels as you and I want to study medicine, but I haven't got any work experience or organised any atm. So we're all at the same level tbh. If not, a gap year is always an option

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself some voluntary work in a "caring" setting and you'll be in a better position. Universities like to see long term commitment so if you find some quickly, you'll have about 6 months by the time you apply to university.
    Work experience in a clinical setting isn't massively important but you need to prove to the medical schools you apply to somehow that you understand what it's really like to study medicine and be a doctor.
    Even applying to study medicine is a huge commitment and quite a time-consuming process, so make sure it's something you really want to do before you apply.

ReputationRep:
    NOPE it's not too late
    All of summer I was unsure whether to choose medicine or not and my choice made my final decision when I came to sixth form in September after my AS results and I got my offers just fine
    Just make sure you do your work experience in summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Need advice plz
    You don't need to do further reading unless u want to.
    You'll be fine just apply for work experience now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.