Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently trying to write an email out to a law firm hoping they'll have some work experience available for me. I'm not in the normal age range for work experience, nor am I even applying at the right time, but due to mitigating circumstances, this is all I have to work with.

The firm I'm emailing is fairly small with only a few offices with in the county I live in so I'm hoping that they will have some room for me.

Does anyone have any tips on how to not sound like I'm begging and how I can convince them to let me spend a few days there?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    At what stage are you and how old?
    Imo e-mails are hit and miss plus easier to ignore, so if you have ecent writing then id send them a letter in ink. It might get binned just the same but its less disposable.

Its extremely competitive amd tbh work pexerience people tend to get in the way as you cant do much.

The #1 tip is find out what they do and make it sound as though you are interested in what they do.
    You also need to make sure you app is good rather than lazy and full of errors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    At what stage are you and how old?
    Imo e-mails are hit and miss plus easier to ignore, so if you have ecent writing then id send them a letter in ink. It might get binned just the same but its less disposable.

Its extremely competitive amd tbh work pexerience people tend to get in the way as you cant do much.

The #1 tip is find out what they do and make it sound as though you are interested in what they do.
    You also need to make sure you app is good rather than lazy and full of errors.
    I'm 18. Thats the thing, they don't have an application and I don't even know if they officially take on people for work experience, but I guess there is no harm in asking.

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So are you post A level? Do you want to go to Uni?

Very few fims will have official applications for work experience for applicants of your age. They will be used to getting people asking. You stand more chance by putting a good app in.
    http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-car...ork-experience

http://studyinglaw.co.uk/law-work-ex...-cover-letter/

http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-car...ork-experience

The above are relatively simple letters suitable for your age rather than undergrads. Do look at the website and sell yourself. Find the name of the managing partner and send it to them if its a small firm.

You should also contact the local law society an make it known you are looking for work exp, someine might take you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.