Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Uni in September and I'm honestly terrified I have social anxiety and I have never settled in my college and feel like I should've went to a different college that my school friends went to but I didn't because the college I go to had better results and I haven't made any friends there over 2 years. My biggest worries are what if uni is the same I mean the course I want to do I know I will enjoy but the social side is what is worrying I don't drink or go clubbing so I don't know if I'd fit into the Student Life. Also I couldn't face the idea of living on campus I'm not ready to leave home and it's where I relax with my family after a hard day. Also the idea of debt is looming on my head and making me worried I'm just very worried about the future in general please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymousanon97)
    I'm starting Uni in September and I'm honestly terrified I have social anxiety and I have never settled in my college and feel like I should've went to a different college that my school friends went to but I didn't because the college I go to had better results and I haven't made any friends there over 2 years. My biggest worries are what if uni is the same I mean the course I want to do I know I will enjoy but the social side is what is worrying I don't drink or go clubbing so I don't know if I'd fit into the Student Life. Also I couldn't face the idea of living on campus I'm not ready to leave home and it's where I relax with my family after a hard day. Also the idea of debt is looming on my head and making me worried I'm just very worried about the future in general please help!
    First year uni student here... (well the first year is almost over, but anyway)

Don't feel so bad there are a lot of people who feel the same way as you. I have social anxiety as well, and I was able to make friends even though I live an hour away from the uni (in a shared house with people who work aka don't even go to uni).

Not everyone enjoys drinking/clubbing- just stick with the people who prefer to do other things. There are so many different people at uni, so there are a lot of opportunities to make many different types of friends.

Debt is debt. Everyone who goes to uni gets it. You have to accept this. Everyone is worried about the future. Uni will help you get some more ideas about it if you have no idea. I assume you're picking a subject you have a fair bit of interest in? If this is true, just work at it and you will learn more and from this, you will learn more about the opportunities available with that degree. The longer you're at uni, the more you will learn- if you pay attention that is.

Well, good luck. Bottom line is, a lot of people worry about the future and making friends. Just try tp relax and push forward and try your hardest to be social, because of lot of things in life require you to be social, and having people around that care about you is worth the risk of social interaction haha.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much drinking is not such a big thing yes lots of people do drink but it's not a problem if you don't somone in our group of friends didn't drink and I have never seen anyone party as hard as him.

You don't have to go clubbing agane lots of people do and it's a good way to bond with your hall mates suck it up and do it on the first night and then say you know what guys clubbing is not really for me sit with them at pre drinks and if they are off to a pub befor a club leave when they go to the club as for social anxiety do you have a coping mechanism do that I met a guy that found that flicking a tic tac box worked for him.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm exactly the same as you. I do have a fair few friends at college but mainly quite close friends and there are people in my year who aren't really my type of people… But other than that, we are pretty much the same.
    I don't drink, I feel terrible about the debt, I am happy at home, but I think it is so important to take some risks in life and try and make something of yourself, to make your education up until this point worth it. Think about it this way, if you were working instead you would have even less time to spend with your family! Oh, by the way, I have anxiety (not social), but I don't want to let it get my way, at all, in anything I do.
    At college you tend to know certain people already and stick with them, but uni is completely different. Everybody wants to meet new people, that's what it's about really!
    Just because you love your family and your home doesn't mean you have to be there all the time. It stays the same, but you can have new experiences and overcome new obstacles at the same time. You still have your holidays, even weekends at home if you like! You can find places to go with your family if they can visit you during the week, for example. If it makes you feel better, you can go into it as a trial run and see how it goes, taking the pressure off.
    Stay positive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.