Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Great things about video games these days Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of the good things about Video Games these days is that you can save your progress without worrying having to start from the very start. Not only that but you can go back to a level that you loved playing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharkbate633)
    One of the good things about Video Games these days is that you can save your progress without worrying having to start from the very start. Not only that but you can go back to a level that you loved playing
    online games which you can't pause

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    online games which you can't pause
    I didn't mean online games I was meaning Games consoles such as Xbox 360, Play station 2, Nintendo Wii, PC games etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharkbate633)
    I didn't mean online games I was meaning Games consoles such as Xbox 360, Play station 2, Nintendo Wii, PC games etc.
    oh.......

ReputationRep:
    How realistic the graphics are compared to the ps1/ps2 days.

ReputationRep:
    Online multiplayer finally happened.

Being able to pause cutscenes. It only took a decade or two...

Being able to change difficulty mid-game, though too many games are still in the dark ages and don't have this option.

The internet currently being old enough to be extremely accessible and ginormous, but young enough to not yet be regulated, meaning lots of content to help with games and places to buy games. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Prices. Consoles and games are cheaper than ever according to inflation, plus there's pre-owned and on PC there are the GOG sales and key sites (used to be Steam sales), while on console you can sell games you finish and even make a profit.

And just the size of games now. Game worlds are miles across.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    More space to save game files.
    I remember PS1 with their 1MB memory card, PS2 weren't that great either with 8MB. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Mods and user-generatored content, there's some great mods out there for games like for example Skyrim and Xcom 2. And it's all free, at least for now it is.

ReputationRep:
    Meh.....

Most points raised are features 15-20 years old.

Memory improvements? Game sizes spiking, 100GB+ games anyone?
    Mods? Been using them since the 90's. However many developers are clamping down on them as they're now DLC competition (aka dice in the battlefield series banning all mods).
    Internet accessibility and lack of control? I remember in 2001 it being incredibly accessible. Also a lack of dedicated servers in many games these days
    Saving whenever.... meh in many games this can be a bad thing, thus many games like paradox interactive only let you get achievements when playing iron man mode (aka no saving whenever).
    Pricing is a mixed bag, put simply certain aspects are much more expensive.

Then you have other cons, widespread usage of headsets these days..... making it great for teamwork and if you're playing with mates, not so great while paying COD/Battlefield and people whining or acting like spoilt brats.
    Rise of casual gaming within mainstream games, aka the demise of Battlefield, CoD, MoH (actually most shooters) and RPG's to cater to more casual players. However thanks to indie studios this is being counteracted.
    The rise of microtransactions and DLC, the bane of modern gaming. While it allows gamers to pick an choose the content they want, often to play multiplayer it's a requirement. Just take the Total war series, Paradox RTS games, CoD, Battlefield, most EA games etc and look at DLC pricing. Seems cheap, but when you actually measure the content and pricing it can get expensive fast! While you would spend £25-£30 pounds on a base game, £15 for an expansion and maybe get a second expansion. You now pay £30-£50 for a game, then have £10-15 DLC a fraction of the price of the older expansions of which you have around 5-10 plus smaller mini DLC around the £4-8 price mark. Basically where 10-15 years ago you would expect to spend £60 max (More likely £45) over a games entire lifespan, you now have to expect to pay well over £100 to get all the content for that game. The keeping in mind expansions to this day tend to still provide better content than DLC, which even looking at some big games such as the Battlefield series, is quite lackluster these days when compared to their older, cheaper expansions.

Tbh the best thing about gaming these days is the culture and the growing acceptability of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_Med)
    More durable game disks! I remember with my ps1, a new game would stop working every week. This may have just been my recklessness tho
    My disk for Spyro 3 I've had since I was 5 still works perfectly and I've played the heck out of it. What on earth were you doin fam?

ReputationRep:
    I like the indie gaming scene. AAA games don't own gaming culture in the way that they used to, people talked far more about Undertale last year than Assassins Creed Syndicate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_Med)
    More durable game disks! I remember with my ps1, a new game would stop working every week. This may have just been my recklessness tho
    Must have been, I've still got all my PS1 games that I've had for nearly 2 decades and they all still work despite playing them every day when I was that age and sharing them with my brother

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably pick up gaming again when VR becomes sophisticated enough to create an immersive experience. Although I intend to try the Doom Beta at some point

ReputationRep:
    Being able to use more games without a disk.

Auto Save, more prevalent save points & cloud save back-ups.

Graphics that get noticeably better every few years (in 20yrs we've gone from blocky 2D/3D games to full HD/4K)

Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality & generally more interactivity with add-ons like fitness tech, headsets etc

Scale - Games like GTA V/Just Cause 3 certainly have their faults but the sheer size of their maps is a huge achievement

Reliability - Blu Ray disks are far more durable. Most PC games can be downloaded an unlimited amount of times (assuming your product key is valid) & are stored in programs like Steam so they're easy to install & there's no disk to lose/damage.

ReputationRep:
    I would say perhaps the hype that games get now is better than what it was in years previously though this can cause some games to be over-hyped and be disappointed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.