Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does reading fiction increase your intelligence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know reading factual books can increase your intelligence but how beneficial is reading fiction? Cos I've taken to spending a fair amount of time reading fiction. Once I start reading my book I don't don't want to put it down. Then I feel bad, thinking I should be reading something more educational related to my course but reading fiction takes my mind off things. Does anyone else have this problem? x

ReputationRep:
    Fiction can improve your vocabulary, and is said to boost brain power. You increase in creativity. These things benefit in all subjects, especially English.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on the quality of fiction. Good fiction will enhance your vocabulary, and that's really only beneficial. Vocabulary is probably more useful in a practical sense than specific facts.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    I read a lot of fiction as a child... look at me now Im a freaking Genius

ReputationRep:
    It motivates your own creative thinking, it can also increase interest in real life issues, for example both 1984 by George Orwell and The Fear by Peter Godwin involve an in-depth look at what it is to live in a totalitarian state. 1984 is fictional and has a far wider readership, The Fear is contemporary, whereas 1984 was written in 1948. But when people speak about government surveillance, they speak of Big Brother, when they think of torture they think of Room 101 and when they think about political press conferences they think of double-speak.

Fiction is far more broad, and thus has a much broader readership, and informs the culture far more than non-fiction does. Fiction is of course informed by non-fiction, as seen by the many body horror mutation stories which were written immediately after Darwin's Origin of Species was published, which helped to popularise a simplistic version of evolution, allowing evolution to enter the public consciousness and be accepted as fact.

Fiction and non-fiction literature inform and complement each other.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I tend to read more "girly" books about romance, lives of females encountering different difficulties but I guess it can be helpful, and a nice escape from reality if anything x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    Thanks everyone. I tend to read more "girly" books about romance, lives of females encountering different difficulties but I guess it can be helpful, and a nice escape from reality if anything x
    what is reality?

hmmmm can fiction answer that one?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.