Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking through the text book and some tricky mechanics questions for M1 and I am frustrated by my lack of ability to do this one, if someone could be kind enough to explain it to me I'd be more than grateful.

Two smooth spheres A and B, of equal radii and masses m1 and m2 respectively, are moving towards each other along the same horizontal line each with speed u. After collision both spheres have reversed their original directions of motion and A now travels with speed u/2.
    Show that 3m1>2m2
    Sphere B then strikes a fixed wall at right angles, the impact reversing the direction of motion of B and halving it's speed. Show that B will again collide with A provided that 3m1>4m2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucykathryn)
    I've been looking through the text book and some tricky mechanics questions for M1 and I am frustrated by my lack of ability to do this one, if someone could be kind enough to explain it to me I'd be more than grateful.

Two smooth spheres A and B, of equal radii and masses m1 and m2 respectively, are moving towards each other along the same horizontal line each with speed u. After collision both spheres have reversed their original directions of motion and A now travels with speed u/2.
    Show that 3m1>2m2
    Conservation of linear momentum: um_1 - um_2 = -\frac{um_1}{2} + m_2 v_b

So: um_1 \left(1 + \frac{1}{2}\right) = m_2 (u + v_b) \iff um_1 = \frac{2m_2}{3}(u+v_b) \iff 3m_1 = \frac{2m_2}{u}(u+v_b)

So...?

Remember that \frac{u+v_b}{u} = 1 + \text{something} > 1.

So 3m_1 = 2m_2 \times (\text{something bigger than 1})

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Conservation of linear momentum: um_1 - um_2 = -\frac{um_1}{2} + m_2 v_b

So: um_1 \left(1 + \frac{1}{2}\right) = m_2 (u + v_b) \iff um_1 = \frac{2m_2}{3}(u+v_b) \iff 3m_1 = \frac{2m_2}{u}(u+v_b)

So...?
    I am really unsure of how to decide whether a collision will occur just from the momentum. I managed to prove the first part.
    Sorry I should have specified where I needed help

ReputationRep:
    I am really unsure of how to decide whether a collision will occur just from the momentum. I managed to prove the first part.
    Sorry I should have specified where I needed help
    Sphere B will collide with Sphere A if and only if the speed of Sphere B after colliding with the wall is greater than the Speed of A, this then means that B will be able to "catch up" with A. So find an expression for the velocity of B and set it greater than u/2.

ReputationRep:
    Sphere B will collide with Sphere A if and only if the speed of Sphere B after colliding with the wall is greater than the Speed of A, this then means that B will be able to "catch up" with A. So find an expression for the velocity of B and set it greater than u/2.
    Oh god that is so simple. Thankyou so much, I over complicated that loads.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god that is so simple. Thankyou so much, I over complicated that loads.
    No problem, let me know if it works out!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, let me know if it works out!
    It worked perfectly, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    It worked perfectly, thankyou
    Awesome, glad I could help!

Welcome to TSR, hope to see you around the maths forum more.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.