Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I get hair on my face, the most annoying being on my chin and underneath it too. I use a little electric trimmer aimed towards females (which I am) but recently started hair removal cream again but my skin becomes sensitive and red and I got slight scabs as well as stinging so going back to the trimming thing. Waxing it is a no go for me as the thought of letting it grow enough to be ready to wax scares me, I need it to not be there. Any advice please? Is this chin hair normal? There's a fair amount x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    Hi,

I get hair on my face, the most annoying being on my chin and underneath it too. I use a little electric trimmer aimed towards females (which I am) but recently started hair removal cream again but my skin becomes sensitive and red and I got slight scabs as well as stinging so going back to the trimming thing. Waxing it is a no go for me as the thought of letting it grow enough to be ready to wax scares me, I need it to not be there. Any advice please? Is this chin hair normal? There's a fair amount x

No expert but I don't think it is.

May suggest a hormone imbalance.

Maybe see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    No expert but I don't think it is.

May suggest a hormone imbalance.

Maybe see a doctor.

It's hard for me to describe what a fair amount is but yeah I'm thinking of doing that cos of other things making me question my hormones. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Me)
    It's hard for me to describe what a fair amount is but yeah I'm thinking of doing that cos of other things making me question my hormones. Thanks

In the meantime maybe try plucking.

ReputationRep:
    Try threading

ReputationRep:
    Just do a wet shave.

It's so simple.

No dumb hair removal creams or anything.

Waxing?

ReputationRep:
    I got my 'moustache' (as I liked to call it) partially removed by laser.

It wasn't awful, but I have dark hair, and beauticians recommended I stopped waxing or threading otherwise it would keep getting thicker and more prominent.

This cost a couple of hundred £££, but it was worth it. It is worth mentioning the hair has not completely gone, but been reduced. Groupon and similar websites do deals on hair laser removal too.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use hair removal cream on your face. I don't use hair removal cream at all because it can irritate your skin a lot. It basically does the same thing as a razor - it removes the hair from the surface of the skin, but not from the actual follicle, so it's useless.
    Best thing to do for chin hairs (which are completely normal, especially if you're dark-haired) is to remove them with tweezers.
    Waxing is very easy to do yourself at home. You can buy facial wax strips (I use Nair ones) in packs of 16 for about £1, and all you need to do is rub the strip in your hand to warm it up before using it. You can cut the strips into smaller sections to make it easier. I used to be scared of waxing too but I do it on the sides of my face and it leaves your skin feeling very smooth. Any wax left stuck to your face can be removed just by applying vaseline or moisturiser. I would only recommend waxing if you have a lot of hair in that area though. Otherwise you should try threading - you can get it done in a salon (it's perfectly normal) or you can learn to do it yourself since it isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    Thread. I can thread my own face now and I save money and now I've done it a few times it doesn't hurt Chin threading is probably the easiest to do yourself imo

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a hairy face, but i do have peach fuzz round my cheeks etc that I like to remove so that my foundation applies smoother.

I just like to quickly shave my face and it works perfectly for me. I make sure that my face is lathered up with soap and afterwards I don't apply any cosmetics for at least 30 mins to let my face settle.

I am never left with a rash or burns (which is great as I can come out in a rash when I shave my legs etc) and regrowth is never prickly like legs.

I use a mens razor and it is purely used for my face an nothing else.

in your case, if you dont like the idea of shaving, I would probably recommend a laser treatment as this will prevent hair growth and can last many years.

It would also be appropriate to seek medical advice, as abnormal hair growth could be signs of a hormone imbalance.

Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies! Yeah the battery operated trimming thing is like shaving which I like cos this way, I don't get scared about potential cuts. I used to wax like my chin and I tried my eyebrows once when young but wouldn't do that again lol. I don't think I could stand to wait for hair to grow long enough to be waxed. I've thought about laser hair removal too but again think it needs to have grown a bit. I'm going to buy facial wax for under chin area. I moved to London not too long ago and haven't registered with a new GP as I don't know exactly how long I'll be here in London (course and job for a year) so may make an appointment for when my work holiday days come up as I'm going back "Home" then x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.