Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

Just looking for some suggestions/advice about my career path. Just exploring my options at the minute.

I graduated with a 2:1 in business economics about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I had a bad leg injury shortly after I finished which meant I couldn't sit on a chair for a hour or so. However after a year the injury improved so I started looking for work. I'm considering doing a masters but don't know what kind of one would suit me.

My degree was mainly qualitative based. I did some excel work but didn't use anything else that wasn't basic. I had one excel focused module that I got a high grade in. I got offered an intern last year with some other people for 2 months. Unfortunately at the end of it I didn't get the job as it had a lot of presentations in it which I'm awful at. There was some excel and access based learning to it too. I wasn't as fast using the programs as others there, as they seemed to have more practice while at uni. I also worked for 3 months in my old uni last year to help with students considering applying. It was mainly telephone based work.

I was considering going into a data analysis style course as my first preference but I don't think I have enough experience. Also I'm unsure at how good with Maths you would need to be to use programs like R, SAS etc. I emailed enquiring about one course and was told you would need some experience with databases and programming in any language. I don't have that currently.

I've also being applying for graduate roles between the temporary jobs I've being working but haven't secured one yet. I don't tend to mention my injury in interviews as think it will look bad if I have problems sitting in a chair to do office type work. I think there appears to be a bit of gap on my cv which is why I'm considering doing a masters as it might be easier to get work afterwards. Also I felt my course at uni didn't teach me enough skills such as using tools like SAS, sql etc and more focused on analysing such as corporate governance, brics etc.

I also thought a little about focusing more on programming but I'm unsure whether I may be more suited to it or data analysis. I'm not good at presentations and I'm a quiet person which is why I would prefer more office based work.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone knows any courses they think might suit me? Or how hard is it to learn data analysis tools or programming on your own before doing a course...so that you were at a basic requirement. I'm just average at Maths. I got an A in my GCSE Maths but found A level Maths too hard so changed A levels. Other than that, I haven't done much Maths recently apart from some modules at uni.

Maybe it might be hard to give advice just from reading this.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reddragon01)
    Hey.

Just looking for some suggestions/advice about my career path. Just exploring my options at the minute.

I graduated with a 2:1 in business economics about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I had a bad leg injury shortly after I finished which meant I couldn't sit on a chair for a hour or so. However after a year the injury improved so I started looking for work. I'm considering doing a masters but don't know what kind of one would suit me.

My degree was mainly qualitative based. I did some excel work but didn't use anything else that wasn't basic. I had one excel focused module that I got a high grade in. I got offered an intern last year with some other people for 2 months. Unfortunately at the end of it I didn't get the job as it had a lot of presentations in it which I'm awful at. There was some excel and access based learning to it too. I wasn't as fast using the programs as others there, as they seemed to have more practice while at uni. I also worked for 3 months in my old uni last year to help with students considering applying. It was mainly telephone based work.

I was considering going into a data analysis style course as my first preference but I don't think I have enough experience. Also I'm unsure at how good with Maths you would need to be to use programs like R, SAS etc. I emailed enquiring about one course and was told you would need some experience with databases and programming in any language. I don't have that currently.

I've also being applying for graduate roles between the temporary jobs I've being working but haven't secured one yet. I don't tend to mention my injury in interviews as think it will look bad if I have problems sitting in a chair to do office type work. I think there appears to be a bit of gap on my cv which is why I'm considering doing a masters as it might be easier to get work afterwards. Also I felt my course at uni didn't teach me enough skills such as using tools like SAS, sql etc and more focused on analysing such as corporate governance, brics etc.

I also thought a little about focusing more on programming but I'm unsure whether I may be more suited to it or data analysis. I'm not good at presentations and I'm a quiet person which is why I would prefer more office based work.

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone knows any courses they think might suit me? Or how hard is it to learn data analysis tools or programming on your own before doing a course...so that you were at a basic requirement. I'm just average at Maths. I got an A in my GCSE Maths but found A level Maths too hard so changed A levels. Other than that, I haven't done much Maths recently apart from some modules at uni.

Maybe it might be hard to give advice just from reading this.

Cheers!
    Generally a Masters course doesn't make it easier to get a job- employers prefer experience over anything else and they will still see the gap on your CV. If you have an interview and don't get the role, make sure you get specific feedback on what didn't go so well.

ReputationRep:
    Do you still have that leg injury?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses.

The courses I have been looking at have some element of work experience. One had the option of a year's placement with your Masters and others had the option of some work experience with a research project. You still have to attend interviews and be offered the placement or work experience. Though I thought it would be easier getting experience this way as they would have people going to similar offices every year via the uni.

Yeah I'm doing that too. I have got some good feedback on some of my better interviews. I got offered one job for 3 months but it was at a very low wage in London. I couldn't afford to accept it so I waited to the other summer job came up. Though the job that I refused was more using excel etc on a daily basis so it probably would of suited me better. Though I couldn't afford to live in London with what they were offering. It was less than minimum wage. I also came close to getting a job as a marketing assistant role. Part of the feedback was, "We felt that you did a very strong interview, have very good communication and inter-personal skills along with very relevant work experience but in this case we offered the role to the candidate with the strongest background in marketing." Though some other people just wouldn't provide feedback after I emailed them afterwards. Plus sometimes I got told I seemed very nervous as feedback which I guess doesn't look good. Though I can't stop that from happening.

My leg isn't healed but it's more manageable. I can manage sitting for a few hours and then have a break and manage another few hours. I was doing 6 and 1/2 hours work last summer for 3 months with an hour for lunch break. Getting to stretch and walk about helped it alot. There was still days that it was sore but it was manageable. Plus seems to be improving very slowly.

I would prefer to work now than do a masters but I don't think I have the skills for the job I want at the minute. If I could get somewhere for a few months then I think I could learn on the job. Hopefully something will come up sooner than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reddragon01)
    Thanks for the responses.

The courses I have been looking at have some element of work experience. One had the option of a year's placement with your Masters and others had the option of some work experience with a research project. You still have to attend interviews and be offered the placement or work experience. Though I thought it would be easier getting experience this way as they would have people going to similar offices every year via the uni.

Yeah I'm doing that too. I have got some good feedback on some of my better interviews. I got offered one job for 3 months but it was at a very low wage in London. I couldn't afford to accept it so I waited to the other summer job came up. Though the job that I refused was more using excel etc on a daily basis so it probably would of suited me better. Though I couldn't afford to live in London with what they were offering. It was less than minimum wage. I also came close to getting a job as a marketing assistant role. Part of the feedback was, "We felt that you did a very strong interview, have very good communication and inter-personal skills along with very relevant work experience but in this case we offered the role to the candidate with the strongest background in marketing." Though some other people just wouldn't provide feedback after I emailed them afterwards. Plus sometimes I got told I seemed very nervous as feedback which I guess doesn't look good. Though I can't stop that from happening.

My leg isn't healed but it's more manageable. I can manage sitting for a few hours and then have a break and manage another few hours. I was doing 6 and 1/2 hours work last summer for 3 months with an hour for lunch break. Getting to stretch and walk about helped it alot. There was still days that it was sore but it was manageable. Plus seems to be improving very slowly.

I would prefer to work now than do a masters but I don't think I have the skills for the job I want at the minute. If I could get somewhere for a few months then I think I could learn on the job. Hopefully something will come up sooner than later.
    If the masters includes a work placement then that could definitely help, especially the year in industry. And maybe you'd have a chance to improve your presentation skills too. As far as interview nervousness goes, practice goes a long way to stopping that from happening. And its also worth looking at standing desks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it probably would help. I'm trying to get more information about it and looking at other courses too. So hopefully I'll have a better idea of what to do soon.

Cheers. Yeah I'll hopefully keep improving at interviews and look into standing desks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.