Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am a bit confused about eligibility for loans if you have had student finance before..

I began a course in 2010 but suspended my studies in Feb 2012 part way through my second year due to severe depression, I resumed my studies and began my second year again in September 2012 but dropped out of uni properly in Dec 2012.

Does this mean I have had 3 years of funding even if I have only had one full year of university?

I finally feel able to go back and have accepted an offer to study a completely different degree in September.

Will I get the tuition fee loan for all three years as I was ill? Or will I only get funding for one year? (3 years plus extra year take the three years previous study)

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The calculation student finance use for deciding how much funding you will get is: length of course - previous years of study + 1 gift year = loan entitlement. But if you had to leave your degree for health reasons then you can apply for 'compelling personal reasons' which should allow you to get a loan. This explains it better than I could: http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=25908

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.