The Student Room Group

macbook air is sh*t

the battery life is appalling!

it was amazing at first, I'm talking 11/12 hours as promised.

I've only had it for 3 months, and it's reduced to 8 hours already.

WTF has anyone else experienced this? I'm seriously worried about what the future holds, I bought this with intentions of using it for uni as well.........should I have just gotten a pro?

also can I freaking return it if it lowers anymore significantly? I have apple care for some years.

I would post in tech forum but am not gonna waste half my life trying to find that area on TSR
Original post by medhelp

WTF has anyone else experienced this? I'm seriously worried about what the future holds, I bought this with intentions of using it for uni as well.........should I have just gotten a pro?

also can I freaking return it if it lowers anymore significantly? I have apple care for some years.

I would post in tech forum but am not gonna waste half my life trying to find that area on TSR

i can recommend the pro i got mine from cex i was a 2013 model and i got it for a £1,000 around christmas time and i use it for everything involving my business and keep my personal stuff on the pc
Reply 2
Original post by jamesthehustler
i can recommend the pro i got mine from cex i was a 2013 model and i got it for a £1,000 around christmas time and i use it for everything involving my business and keep my personal stuff on the pc

whats the battery life like?

also, it's a bit late now isn't it.....I can't return the air can i? (or can i?) and what really sucks is I spent a bit over a grand on the air.
Original post by medhelp

also, it's a bit late now isn't it.....I can't return the air can i? (or can i?) and what really sucks is I spent a bit over a grand on the air.

All Apple purchases (bought directly through Apple) come with at least 1 year warranty. If you're that concerned about your battery, make a Genius appointment at your local Apple Store and they will be able to fix it or replace it.
Original post by medhelp

the battery still runs for 16 hours off the charger as it was still on when i flew from gatwick to salt lake city to meet a jewellery trader over a very large pick up for a client
you can't return it directly but you should be able to recover the most by trading it in and upgrading
My friend has the macbook air and she has had the same problems. We both got our laptops within 1 week of each other (I got the macbook pro) and already her battery life is significantly shorter than mine.

We both take our macbooks to uni and after a few hours, she already feels the need to charge hers whereas i can right to the end of the day before i need to consider recharging mine.
Original post by medhelp
x

Hiya! :h:

Just to let you know I've moved this thread to a more appropriate section for you.

Cheers!
Ethan :h:
Reply 8
My Air 11 is great.

But I agree about the battery life.

Apple lied to us.

:wink:
Original post by medhelp

As suggested by beozoar book an appointment and get them to check it over.
Hours can be misleading becayse it depends on exacly the same usage. More intense usage will drain the battery faster.

Its better to put technical queries in the right forum if you wnat the best chanc of getting the correct answer, so you end up shortchanging yourself.

As your product is relatively new then

If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it is presumed to have been there from the time of delivery - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
During this time it's up to retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there at the time of delivery - it's not up to you to prove that it was.
If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.
No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.
Reply 10
Original post by jamesthehustler
the battery still runs for 16 hours off the charger as it was still on when i flew from gatwick to salt lake city to meet a jewellery trader over a very large pick up for a client
you can't return it directly but you should be able to recover the most by trading it in and upgrading

16hours o.O bloody hell.

should've got the pro :sad::sad: I regret everything. My friend even told me that apple has a student website where I coud've literally got it for around 600 quid bc I'm in education.

Original post by iEthan
Hiya! :h:

Just to let you know I've moved this thread to a more appropriate section for you.

Cheers!
Ethan :h:

thank you :biggrin:

Original post by stefano865
My Air 11 is great.

But I agree about the battery life.

Apple lied to us.

:wink:

I'm worried that in a year and a bit's time (uni) the battery life is gonna be so crap I won't be able to take it with me without the charger.

Original post by 999tigger
As suggested by beozoar book an appointment and get them to check it over.
Hours can be misleading becayse it depends on exacly the same usage. More intense usage will drain the battery faster.

Its better to put technical queries in the right forum if you wnat the best chanc of getting the correct answer, so you end up shortchanging yourself.

As your product is relatively new then

I am definitely gonna do this, will probably have to remove some stuff from laptop before I hand it over (lol :colone:) but nevertheless it's the only way.

The usage is the same, it used to be 12 hours even if I was using it all day, sounds a bit weird but I kept note of some of the the battery life's at the beginning cause I'm always sus about apple. It used to be: every 30 minutes the battery would decrease by around 5%, and now it's WAY more.
Then go for saying what a loyal customer you are and how disappointed you are in the product. If you wnat to trun it up then you cna say youve spoken to CAB or trading standards and theyve told you your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Apple should be well in excess anyway. What you cna push for is a replacment or a credit or a refund if they cnat repair.
Stick to PC.
Cheap and cheerful.
Reply 13
Original post by ODES_PDES
Stick to PC.
Cheap and cheerful.

I'm not carrying a PC around, plus I do majority of work in bed on or the floor for some reason.

Original post by 999tigger
Then go for saying what a loyal customer you are and how disappointed you are in the product. If you wnat to trun it up then you can say youve spoken to CAB or trading standards and theyve told you your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Apple should be well in excess anyway. What you cna push for is a replacment or a credit or a refund if they cnat repair.

LOL what the... not sure I'd be able to maintain that lie well enough otherwise I would cause it's a good idea and I'm really pissed off.
"Apple should be well in excess anyway" what does this mean?

Do you think replacement or refund would be best? Replacement right? cause then I get a fresh new one wooop, but surely the same issue will arise again won't it? Also, the whole it's up to them to find the issue - surely by me stating that the battery life was fine to begin with and has now starting disgustingly decreasing, I've literally told them there was nothing initially wrong with it?
Lie. It takes 1 phone call.
A refund gives you the biggest scope. to choose what you wnat to do. It will only become available if they cnat repair it ofc they have to find a fault. You will need to fidn what their official hours for the battery are. Lisa gade on mobile tech review does really good review bideos and am sure if you watch it then she will say what batter usage she achieved.

Considering its a fixed battery then its unlikely they can repair. A replace would get you the same model. Work out if you wnat a pro instead by looking at the review on mobile tech then push for whatever gives you that. For macbook air they claim up to 9hrs for the 11 inch and 12 hours for the 13 inch. A replacment should be without fault and this brand new.

Theres a thread on here where someone has replaced loads of macs, it happens whilst others have no problems. Just dont believe they are perfect.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3957353&page=2&highlight=macbook
Reply 15
I have the pro, bought it about 18 months ago, battery is rubbish.

You could book a genius appointment, or just come to terms with the fact apple can't make batteries.
I have the macbook pro with retina display (the newer one) so the display quality is also better. I am not a techy person (I just got the macbook pro because i was getting a deal on it at Currys), so I cant list off the differences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending