The Student Room Group

What is second year like in terms of making friends?

na
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by marypoppins13
Hi all!
I'm currently finishing up my first year at uni. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a great time. But...looking back I feel i could've made more of an effort to be more social (I had quite bad anxiety at the beginning so this hindered me a lot.By the time I was comfortable with my housemates I feel like I didn't really bother to branch out.)

I feel like I have two best friends here, and a few good friends, and then just acquaintances I see around/ party with sometimes. Our third best friend had to leave suddenly so that has kind of made me re-evaluate. Sorta feeling like I maybe put too much into that friendship (when I feel like we might not even stay in contact.) :frown:

So I guess my question is this...is it possible, in joining societies and whatnot, in the second year, to make a close group of friends again? Or is it pretty much set in stone?

Thanks! :smile:

Of course it is :smile: just put yourself out there!
I'm in a sports club and have loads of friends who joined in their second year and have made their best friends. Second year has probably been more fun that first year because pretty much all the my friends now are friends through want, not just because I happened to be in the same halls with them. I realised that all my 'good friends' from halls were purely out of convenience. The ones I have now are actually because we get on and have things in common.

Also, from personal experience and the experience of others, don't expect to have a huge circle of best friends. I have a few people I'd consider best friends, but most of my friends are just good friends. I.e. we can have a great time, experience things together, etc. but we're probably not going to be 24/7 mates after we graduate. That being said, we probably will stay in contact (well I hope so anyway).
Same friends as 1st year.

Quick Reply

Latest