Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hii I am in desperate need in help with springs. If you know Hooke's law you most likely know of the experiment i am talking about, so i am wondering if a force is acting upon a metal spring, and it doesn't have an extension does this mean that both force, the force of the spring and the force of gravity acting upon the mass are in equilibrium?

and also just wondering if this is true does it mean that the spring has force which holds it there or energy?

Thank you so much everybody thank you! Please help
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    for every force there is an equal and opposite reaction force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwampMagic)
    Hii I am in desperate need in help with springs. If you know Hooke's law you most likely know of the experiment i am talking about, so i am wondering if a force is acting upon a metal spring, and it doesn't have an extension does this mean that both force, the force of the spring and the force of gravity acting upon the mass are in equilibrium?

and also just wondering if this is true does it mean that the spring has force which holds it there or energy?

not quite could you describe what happens in the experiment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwampMagic)

Not entirely sure which experiment you mean, but if you add a mass to it and the spring doesn't extend, then I believe the tension is equal to the weight. For equilibrium there must be no resultant force so if it it doesnt move I'm guessing its in equilibrium.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.