Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing French and German (as well as Latin but that would be different, but help appreciated!)

Is it learning the vocabulary I need to focus on learning, or the exam technique, or the constructions?

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE? A bit of all really. That said, the most efficient way to do this would be to look back at past papers. Perhaps begin by looking at sample texts in the textbook to learn common constructions (As you go through texts you will begin to start recognising constructions that come up again and again). Key vocab is also important. I can't comment on German but French has a lot of cognates - don't bother learning these. Their meaning will be obvious in the exam based on context. Instead, learn key words (who, what, why, when, where, how). Learn time flags e.g. (l'année dèrniere - I hope I have spelt that right ) because this will make it easier to recognise tenses (If a sentence begins with "last year" it's quite obvious what tense the rest of the sentence will be in). Learn common verbs (voir, aller, être, croire; venir etc.)
    For exam technique, mark schemes can be picky - for the non-multiple choice questions, add as much information from the text as possible. As long as what you write is correct, you won't get marked down for adding unnecessary or superfluous detail. On the other hand, if you miss out detail that is required by the mark scheme, you will lose marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin:))
    I'm doing French and German (as well as Latin but that would be different, but help appreciated!)

Is it learning the vocabulary I need to focus on learning, or the exam technique, or the constructions?
    I did French and German GCSE and got an A in both of them, 1 UMS off an A* in German, (I didn't do Latin so I can't really help you) but if you're doing AQA, I'd highly recommend that you invest a lot of time into getting your speaking and writing grade up to an A* (the only thing that saved me from French) and then just learning about 10 vocabulary words a week for the higher paper which are very frequent should be sufficient. If you haven't got a list I would encourage you to find one online. That's really all the advice I could give at the moment, but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

EDIT: I forgot to include this, do as many past papers as you can so you can familiarise yourself with the vocabulary. Again, this was one of the only things that saved me from French. Once I had done all the AQA ones I did some from OCR too (not required but it could help, at the end of the day French is french).

ReputationRep:
    As somebody who got an A in german (3A*s, 1D) It takes a ton of work, especially on coursework. Its almost comparable to the amount of work you would put into an AS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am doing the same subjects as you and I am taking my exams this year as well. But you didn't say whether you are doing the GCSE or something else.

I do French, German and Latin for GCSE. But I do the AQA IGCSE for French and German so I don't have any coursework like the others here. I would say for French and German learning the vocabulary is important but I personally find it more useful to learn set phrases as well as just the vocab and I also think its important to know the grammar and how the different constructions work so that you are able to express anything you want to. For Latin I just learn the vocab from the set list as there isn't much of it and I learn the grammar but I spend most of my time memorising the set text stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    Hi,
    I am doing the same subjects as you and I am taking my exams this year as well. But you didn't say whether you are doing the GCSE or something else.

I do French, German and Latin for GCSE. But I do the AQA IGCSE for French and German so I don't have any coursework like the others here. I would say for French and German learning the vocabulary is important but I personally find it more useful to learn set phrases as well as just the vocab and I also think its important to know the grammar and how the different constructions work so that you are able to express anything you want to. For Latin I just learn the vocab from the set list as there isn't much of it and I learn the grammar but I spend most of my time memorising the set text stuff.
    I am doing the AQA GCSE in French and German and the WJEC Level 1/2 Certificates (equivalent to a GCSE) in Latin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.