Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    There is someone in my life who is really annoying.

She talks minutes upon minutes with no interruption. I zone out and am polite but others mock and laugh at her behind her back. She also talks about everyone's business.

I pity her for this reason. Noone likes her and I've been in this position. It isn't pleasant.

Is it helpful to try to tactfully get her to speak less? While I can see why she'd be better knowing, I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

I wouldn't want her to become consumed by social anxiety or to repeat what I've said.

ReputationRep:
    All I'll say is be very careful in what you say. Depending on the person, things said can stick with people for a long time

ReputationRep:
    I love talkative people - I'm not sketchy or overly judgemental so I'd get on with her probably - people who don't like talkative people are usually ****ing boring and I say that with no hint of irony - if I'm judgemental towards people whom themselves are usually judgemental then **** me right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Student403)
    All I'll say is be very careful in what you say. Depending on the person, things said can stick with people for a long time
    Indeed. Hence my hesitance. I do not like hurting peoples' feelings but I don't like the fact she acts in a way that is mocked.

(Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    I love talkative people - I'm not sketchy or overly judgemental so I'd get on with her probably - people who don't like talkative people are usually ****ing boring and I say that with no hint of irony - if I'm judgemental towards people whom themselves are usually judgemental then **** me right?
    There is a time and place and it's not always appropriate for someone to wax on and on at you when you're busy. And the individual has a reputation for gossip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Indeed. Hence my hesitance. I do not like hurting peoples' feelings but I don't like the fact she acts in a way that is mocked.

There is a time and place and it's not always appropriate for someone to wax on and on at you when you're busy. And the individual has a reputation for gossip.
    gossip sucks - people who gossip are the worst. but it's not as if being talkative is the same as that
    and if it's inappropriate to talk, then that's kind of a weird idea. if you're busy, just tell her you're busy. it's inappropriate to be around people when you're busy though, right? if she won't stop when you're trying to study or something then that's when you ought to be angry

ReputationRep:

She talks minutes upon minutes with no interruption. I zone out and am polite but others mock and laugh at her behind her back. She also talks about everyone's business.

I pity her for this reason. Noone likes her and I've been in this position. It isn't pleasant.

Is it helpful to try to tactfully get her to speak less? While I can see why she'd be better knowing, I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

I wouldn't want her to become consumed by social anxiety or to repeat what I've said.
    maybe drop some hints to her?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thefatone)
    maybe drop some hints to her?
    I think the problem is that she isn't receptive to hints or cues.

She means well but isn't able to tell when things are personal and not to be repeated and when others are trying to concentrate on what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem is that she isn't receptive to hints or cues.

She means well but isn't able to tell when things are personal and not to be repeated and when others are trying to concentrate on what they're doing.
    well i guess a bit problematic
    i guess it'll only hurt her more if you reveal it in a not so conspicuous way... she'll have though you always liked her as a friend then when the sudden realisation hits... uh oh , not good for anyone's mental hp
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thefatone)
    well i guess a bit problematic
    i guess it'll only hurt her more if you reveal it in a not so conspicuous way... she'll have though you always liked her as a friend then when the sudden realisation hits... uh oh , not good for anyone's mental hp
    I would hardly call us friends. I suppose she could misinterpret my politeness for friendly interest but I see what you're saying.

(Personally, I prefer uncomfortable truths)

I think I'll say nothing.

ReputationRep:

You have already mentioned that she talks everyone's business so it's possible that she'll do the same with you. It will be better if you can divert her attention. Instead of paying attention to her non-sense talks, why not give her some board games, puzzles or even magazines to shut her and positively controlling her talking?

:p:p
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lostandfound86)
    You have already mentioned that she talks everyone's business so it's possible that she'll do the same with you. It will be better if you can divert her attention. Instead of paying attention to her non-sense talks, why not give her some board games, puzzles or even magazines to shut her and positively controlling her talking?

:p:p
    Well that would be awfully patronising to an adult who is perhaps double my age :lol:.

ReputationRep:
    Next time she goes off, listen for 2 minutes, conspicuously timing her on your phone/watch. Then, without expression, put your finger on your lips, signalling shhh.

She clearly lacks any self-awareness.

Then tell her that you (as in you, yourself, not her), have a terrible attention span, and can only listen to 120 seconds of uninterrupted monologue.

ReputationRep:
    Well that would be awfully patronising to an adult who is perhaps double my age :lol:.

Is this a work colleague?

ReputationRep:
    I tell them to shut up and I'm busy (nicely) and that usually works :dontknow:

Just say "I'm working right now can we carry this conversation on later?"
    And about the :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s (i swear if the dolphins are gone i aint coming back) that ***** about her behind her back, you should tell the to grow up and tell her or shut the :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: up. So childish smh

ReputationRep:
    Growls! Lemme' think... :daydreaming::daydreaming:

Now, I'm speechless. LOL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.