Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys. I am a foreigner student currently following an uni course in UK. I am receiving the government student loan , but unfortunately will be charged with a CCJ (County Court Judgement) for a not- paid debt (is a long story and I am not involved directly, but i have been someone else's house rent guarantoor and this guy hasn't paid, disappearing). I am trying to deal with this problem and I am afraid to lose the Student finance loan for the next year (2016/2017). Does anybody could help me to acknowledge if a ccj can affect me or not?
    Thaaanks peeps.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    best way is to check wuth sfe, but as its a loan based on income and identity (not credit worthiness) then i dont think it will affect you.

ReputationRep:
    No, it shouldn't do - as they don't do credit checks, and any payment is taken straight from your income later anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    No, it shouldn't do - as they don't do credit checks, and any payment is taken straight from your income later anyway.
    Thanks for replying. My biggest fear is that these guys from debt collection will take me to court. And at this point, I will have probably a black mark on my records. Will this affect the student loans?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gjacksislack)
    Thanks for replying. My biggest fear is that these guys from debt collection will take me to court. And at this point, I will have probably a black mark on my records. Will this affect the student loans?
    Youve just been told no.

It will affect your credit record though unless you pay it off. It will stay on your record for six years and make it much more difficult for you to get credit . It may come up when you apply for jobs as well, it it involves finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Youve just been told no.

It will affect your credit record though unless you pay it off. It will stay on your record for six years and make it much more difficult for you to get credit . It may come up when you apply for jobs as well, it it involves finance.
    The point is that i don't want to pay it off as is not my fault giving that money! what about this situation? any thoughts? Cheers
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The point is that i don't want to pay it off as is not my fault giving that money! what about this situation? any thoughts? Cheers
    If you were a guarantor then you are most likely liable for the default of the person you guaranteed. If you find that you dont have to pay then you can contact the credit ref agencies, check if its been entered and get the entry removed. You dont know if its on yet.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to Citizen's Advice Bureau?

As you agreed to be a guarantor, you ought to have been aware that should the tenant not pay, you will be liable.
    You agreed to that already - not sure why you're refusing now. You will have to pay unless they turn up.
    This is why you ought never do it unless you trust someone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    Have you spoken to Citizen's Advice Bureau?

As you agreed to be a guarantor, you ought to have been aware that should the tenant not pay, you will be liable.
    You agreed to that already - not sure why you're refusing now. You will have to pay unless they turn up.
    This is why you ought never do it unless you trust someone...
    Yeah I already talked with them but it was not helpful. And technically, I am in wrong, as i signed the contract. What I wanted to know was: As these people sooner or later gonna show up to get their money that I won't give them, they gonna take me to court. And eventually at that point I will be afraid to lose the loan!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I already talked with them but it was not helpful. And technically, I am in wrong, as i signed the contract. What I wanted to know was: As these people sooner or later gonna show up to get their money that I won't give them, they gonna take me to court. And eventually at that point I will be afraid to lose the loan!!
    As mentioned above, a CCJ would not affect the loan, so should be fine in that respect. I'm sure SFE could confirm it to alleviate your worry however.

I should mention they could well send bailiffs after you if you refuse to pay...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You will not lose your student loan. It's not conditional on having a good credit history.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.