Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 questions.
    1.Do high resolution nmr give 1 peak per proton environment just like low resolution?
    2. Apart from hydrogen bonded to carbon, which other hydrogens give split peaks?
    3. What would the high resolution peak of 2,2 dimethylpropane look like? I think it would be 1 peak because of just 1 environment for all protons and the peak is not split because for all the protons, the adjacent carbon is the central carbon which has no protons bonded to it - am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrahmabull)
    I have 3 questions.
    1.Do high resolution nmr give 1 peak per proton environment just like low resolution?
    2. Apart from hydrogen bonded to carbon, which other hydrogens give split peaks?
    3. What would the high resolution peak of 2,2 dimethylpropane look like? I think it would be 1 peak because of just 1 environment for all protons and the peak is not split because for all the protons, the adjacent carbon is the central carbon which has no protons bonded to it - am I right?
    1. As long as there's no coupling, yes.

2. Any hydrogen which has a reasonably small number of bonds connecting it to a nucleus with non-integer spin.

3. I would guess just a singlet with satellites.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 questions.

If you think about it dimethylpropane is analogous to TMS, which of course only gives one peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    1. As long as there's no coupling, yes.

2. Any hydrogen which has a reasonably small number of bonds connecting it to a nucleus with non-integer spin.

3. I would guess just a singlet with satellites.
    Thanks! I didnot understand 2. Is it safe to think only carbon bonded hydrogens exhibit split peaks and that oxygen and nitrogen bonded hydrogens give a singlet?

About 3- what are satellites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    If you think about it dimethylpropane is analogous to TMS, which of course only gives one peak.
    Good point!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I didnot understand 2. Is it safe to think only carbon bonded hydrogens exhibit split peaks and that oxygen and nitrogen bonded hydrogens give a singlet?

About 3- what are satellites?
    They're the little peaks you get either side from some of the molecules present containing carbon 13 (about 1%), which the protons can couple with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.