Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The last few days I've been feeling particularly fatigued and unmotivated. I guess I've generally felt like for the past couple of school terms: I used to do my homework the evening I got it, but now when I get home from school I'm just too exhausted. It's been especially bad these past few days, I intend to start working but it just feels hopeless and I don't have the energy. I try to get enough sleep, but I'm tired even shortly after waking up. I started getting headaches again (I've always had a problem with headaches) a few weeks ago, and even if I've drunk plenty of water and gotten enough sleep last night I can get a splitting headache. Then today I've just been bursting into tears repeatedly for no apparent reason.

I was wondering if it might be Social Anxiety resurfacing... I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago, but I thought I'd mostly dealt with it. Or does it sound like anything else? Should I see a doctor about this? I feel pathetic though, like I'm being stupid. Also, do you have any advice for getting energised?

ReputationRep:
    No harm in speaking to your gp

ReputationRep:
    If concerned, go see a doctor.

Even if isn't a physical condition, they can provide help for mental ones too.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes go and see them alhough do check the basics you are eating a healthy diet, staying hydrated and sleeping enough.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise more, drink more water, eat more ('healthy options'

Go for a run when you wake up. Nice cold shower. Big breakfast. Don't be lazy and don't make excuses.

I believe a lot of these case are simply due to a lack of 'fresh air'. aka getting outside and doing a sport/activity that raises your heart rate. Although im not a GP, just basing this on my experience.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The last few days I've been feeling particularly fatigued and unmotivated. I guess I've generally felt like for the past couple of school terms: I used to do my homework the evening I got it, but now when I get home from school I'm just too exhausted. It's been especially bad these past few days, I intend to start working but it just feels hopeless and I don't have the energy. I try to get enough sleep, but I'm tired even shortly after waking up. I started getting headaches again (I've always had a problem with headaches) a few weeks ago, and even if I've drunk plenty of water and gotten enough sleep last night I can get a splitting headache. Then today I've just been bursting into tears repeatedly for no apparent reason.

I was wondering if it might be Social Anxiety resurfacing... I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago, but I thought I'd mostly dealt with it. Or does it sound like anything else? Should I see a doctor about this? I feel pathetic though, like I'm being stupid. Also, do you have any advice for getting energised?
    Honestly it does sound like your anxiety maybe resurfacing as I personally have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and at it absolute worse I was always exhausted because of it. Eventually missing my university offers. And still on bad days I get throughly exhausted. Today is really not a great day for me as my Endometriosis is making school work impossible, triggering anxiety etc. Yes, anxiety on days like this also causes headaches in me and exacerbates the visual disturbances from my dyslexia.

My advice (and I am sure you have heard it all before):

1)Painkillers for the headache and drink
    2) Set a bed time and create a bedtime routine (this is called sleep hygiene) works wonders for quality of sleep. Also set a waking time and stick to it.
    3) Make sure you do some sort of exercise (by this I am talking going for a walk) allocate maybe 20 mins- this works wonders for anxiety control and ultimately will improve sleep. I did not mean this to be patronising its just most people reduce the amount of exercise they due in the lead up to exams when actually research shows that the brain is far more responsive after 15 mins walking/ taking physical exercise.
    3) Not sure what you mean by it feels hopeless but if its what I think it is ignore any revision play/ work timetable you set out pull out one piece of homework/ revision and do it. you will soon get momentum but do not pressure yourself to stick to something. It just will not happen.
    4) If your really concerned visit your GP- they can do things like check for nutritional deficits of you take them a food diary. Personally I see a CAMHS Psychologist Privately because the IAPT scheme through my GP was really not going to suffice as it taken nearly a year of counselling to get me where I am.

Thankyou for your advice everyone, I'll take it into account comsidering what to do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.