Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ocr chemistry a level help
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
Think about the trend in size and radii across a period

But most importantly, the trend in charge (for metals)
batoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Metals are metallically bonded: the electrostatic forces of attraction between the positively charged metal ions and the sea of delocalised electrons.
Metals lose their outer shell electrons to become ions.

From left to right on the periodic table: Na+ Mg2+ Al3+

Melting and boiling points are dependent on the strength of metallic bonding.
an Aluminium ion has a higher positive charge but smaller atomic radius thus it has the strongest metallic bonding of the three. This is because the strength of metallic bonding is proportional to the magnitude of the charge to the radius of metal cation.
Spoiler:
Show

What I mean by this is : Al+3 has 13 protons and 10 electrons. Na+ has 11 protons and 10 electrons.
So Aluminium has more protons for the same amount of electrons (higher ratio), and thus has stronger metallic bonding (a tighter hold on its electrons) which produces a smaller ion.
Also, we generally know that atomic radii decreases across a period anyway, because nuclear charge increases by 1 each time (proton number) and this outweighs other factors.
A larger amount of energy is required to overcome the stronger metallic bonds in Al as compared to magnesium and sodium, leading to higher melting point than them both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.76%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
31.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.37%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.42%
I think it's an unfair expectation (53)
26.11%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.48%

Watched Threads