Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, that time is here! I've finished school for the summer, having just done my GCSEs and my mum thinks I should get a summer job, and I would like one too. The trouble is, I am going on holiday for 2 weeks, would that cause problems? (It's not a full 2 weeks together - as in two 1 week holidays). I was hopeing for a summer job that I could carry on as a Saturday job.

I e-mailed the local garden centre on their "contact" section concerning jobs from the website, but no response. I am not very good on the telephone at all (which is something I need to get better at). SO WHY DON'T YOU START PHONING PLACES THEN? you all shout... well perhaps I should, but I honestly don't have a clue what to say.

Alot of my friends have been round shops like Argos and Wilkinsons and asked but most have not had any luck. Trouble is - I would feel really cheeky just going in and saying "do you have any jobs?". Can anybody else empathise with me here? Any suggestions, particularly from those who have felt similar but have had success in finding a job and how you did it etc.

Thanks alot,
    Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trundle)
    OK, that time is here! I've finished school for the summer, having just done my GCSEs and my mum thinks I should get a summer job, and I would like one too. The trouble is, I am going on holiday for 2 weeks, would that cause problems? (It's not a full 2 weeks together - as in two 1 week holidays). I was hopeing for a summer job that I could carry on as a Saturday job.

I e-mailed the local garden centre on their "contact" section concerning jobs from the website, but no response. I am not very good on the telephone at all (which is something I need to get better at). SO WHY DON'T YOU START PHONING PLACES THEN? you all shout... well perhaps I should, but I honestly don't have a clue what to say.

Alot of my friends have been round shops like Argos and Wilkinsons and asked but most have not had any luck. Trouble is - I would feel really cheeky just going in and saying "do you have any jobs?". Can anybody else empathise with me here? Any suggestions, particularly from those who have felt similar but have had success in finding a job and how you did it etc.

Thanks alot,
    Ben

Hehe, yeah I empathise with you! I need a job over the summer, but like you aren't good on the phone, and don't want to just go round asking places if they have any jobs
    I managed to find a job that I wanted, but, erm, put off phoning them cos I hate phone calls, and by the time I did phone the vacancy was filled :rolleyes: Don't make that mistake lol!

ReputationRep:
    make a cv and post it off to all the local companies with a note explaining your looking for a job then when a vacancy arises they will probably contact you touch wood

ReputationRep:
    I got a job by walking into a bar and asking if i could apply for a job as a barman, i knew they wanted them cos i saw it on thier website, then i filled in a form and the guy told me to come in of friday, easy as that

ReputationRep:
    As britishseapower says, I think the best thing would be to send out your CV with a covering letter attached. This has got me 2 jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    As britishseapower says, I think the best thing would be to send out your CV with a covering letter attached. This has got me 2 jobs.
    But you probably had a great CV with lots of work experience right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    But you probably had a great CV with lots of work experience right?
    Not really. Only work experience at Virgin Megastore, a local radio station and Odeon cinemas.

It's good to give them something that can be looked at, passed around, kept for future reference should they not have any positions at the moment.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.