Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which tense should I use for a coursework investigation report? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been taught to write them in the past tense, but I have read somewhere that you shouldn't. Any input is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukw)
    I have been taught to write them in the past tense, but I have read somewhere that you shouldn't. Any input is appreciated.
    I think it might depend. In the method, use the present tense like pour or mix. Don't use -ing words though cause I don't think the examiners will like that.

In your plan or if there's a part where you have to say what you're going to do in the experiment like "One way in which the presence of the ions can be tested could be by doing this...", use the future tense. If it's your conclusion or reports on what you have done, use the past.

I'd suggest talking to your teacher about it or looking up exemplary investigations and it might give you some idea.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    use past since you have already done the experiment (or are supposed to have)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you both for your replies. It has really helped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.