Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Deciding between cambridge and UCL any help?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Slide100)
    Have you scoured the departmental website at UCL to see if there is a student there you can contact and ask? I've done my PhD at Cam and worked at UCL, so not exactly the same as you, but I know both environments. I'd say all academic things being equal, it depends on your money management and the environment you'd enjoy most. Although there are plenty of free things to do in London, you still have to get to them, and walking/cycling in Cam is still much easier than it is in London, and everything is more spread out in London than it is in Cam. Do you need peace and quiet and green space? green sports on tap? pubs and clubs that aren't full of students?

Can you speak to the accommodation team at UCL and take a look at the areas most students live? I think your best bet would be to try and make contact with a current UCL PhD student and get info from them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Have you scoured the departmental website at UCL to see if there is a student there you can contact and ask? I've done my PhD at Cam and worked at UCL, so not exactly the same as you, but I know both environments. I'd say all academic things being equal, it depends on your money management and the environment you'd enjoy most. Although there are plenty of free things to do in London, you still have to get to them, and walking/cycling in Cam is still much easier than it is in London, and everything is more spread out in London than it is in Cam. Do you need peace and quiet and green space? green sports on tap? pubs and clubs that aren't full of students?

Can you speak to the accommodation team at UCL and take a look at the areas most students live? I think your best bet would be to try and make contact with a current UCL PhD student and get info from them
    Thanks thats really helpful! Yeah I will do that and try and speak to some current students

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.