The Student Room Group

Urgent advice needed

I am behind in my revision and I feel I am learning nothing by just reading alone. How else can I revise?
Original post by MiriamSandhu
I am behind in my revision and I feel I am learning nothing by just reading alone. How else can I revise?

Make notes, flashcards etc.
I have tried making notes and flashcards but nothing is going in. I just feel I can't concentrate for some reason. What techniques have you found to be effective?
I have tried making notes and flashcards but nothing is going in. I just feel I can't concentrate for some reason. What techniques have you found to be effective?

tbh i have also tried these methods but they never worked for me , studying usually ended with me not being able to recall a single thing I've read or written. I thought, maybe making notes wasn't for everyone. yes, notes are useful but if you can't use them then they aren't really. My problem was that i wasn't engaged mentally to the task at hand , i felt like a book eating zombie, then that's when i decided to figure out what worked for me. i tried making revision more interactive, after reading a part i would try and recall what i have read while saying everything out loud , if i missed something i would just re-read the paragraph until i feel like i got it, sometimes i would use the internet or ask for help. solving past exam papers is very effective , i cant stress that enough. i learn best through discussion so listening to youtube videos helps too. one technique which really helped was trying to imagine that i have to teach what i am learning to someone else, then i would explain it to myself. It is really all about figuring out what works best for you, i like going around the room and saying what i want remember out loud over and over again :biggrin: i make rhymes to memorize and use mnemonic devices, revising in 25 minute intervals with 5 minute breaks in between helped me since i really have a short attention span and can barely study for more than 5 minutes.
No one knows you better that yourself so just believe in yourself , and experiment on your own,
i always start with notes, but depending on the subject I might look for alternative ways if i get bored, pasp papers, tb programmes , essays, with someone else. At some stage you are going to have to knuckle down and do what you cna in the time available.

If you type your subject and exam board into youtube you should be able to find something. It depends on the subject, but there are some pretty good channels out there that do summaries/explanations/basically just read through the revision guide. It's a bit more interactive (especially if you take notes while watching), and I personally find I understand the material better this way rather than reading from a book. Also if you find you're procrastinating by watching things anyway it's a good compromise.

Maybe also try some past paper questions? It highlights what you know best and what you need to work on, and it's a lot more active than just reading. If the prospect of answering long answer questions in full isn't appealing, just do bullet points of the key information.

Also, don't be afraid to make your notes funny or add stupid diagrams and stuff like that - they don't have to be an exact copy of the textbook. They're your revision notes, so whatever makes the revision process more bearable or memorable for you :smile:
Try Mindmaps. You're wasting time, which you will regret in due course.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Try Mindmaps. You're wasting time, which you will regret in due course.

Mindmaps are a pretty big waste of time too.
All I do is just read from the book and do past paper questions. To help you remember stuff, try coming up with acronyms.

If you're doing History, try making timelines. Lit, make documents of important quotes.
Reply 9
I don't know that it would help or not ... But it actually worked out for me... My advice is to go over a friend's house who is best in studies (typically a nerd) and study together as group study is very helpful... Often there r stuffs which ur teachers r unable to teach but ur friends can!! Discuss important point, do through revision, get to know ur lacking, understand stuffs by asking questions and note down things which u need to learn/understand or literally memories!! And if u r thinking of self study then its also great ... What u can do is go Chapterwise and if have any questions call up ur teacher and ask for assistance... Hopefully ur teachers with help u out!! And then there ar many more techniques u can go for ... 😊 hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to do past papers and mark them. It was useful to see your progress. AQA is great for this (if any of your exams are with them).
I also made flashcards. I tested myself every morning on all of them. If I got it right I put it in one pile and wrong in another. I would keep testing myself on the wrong pile until they were all in the right pile. The next day I started all over again.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
All I do is just read from the book and do past paper questions. To help you remember stuff, try coming up with acronyms.

If you're doing History, try making timelines. Lit, make documents of important quotes.

I quite like mind maps, but I count them as part of making notes.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Mindmaps are a pretty big waste of time too.

I find them quite helpful in making unexpected theoretical connections, rather than just visualising facts.

Quick Reply

Latest