Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Confusion about jihad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm a Muslim girl who spends time with quite a lot of non-Muslims, and when they ask me about my religion I've realised that most of them have this idea that jihad means "holy war" so basically warring for Islam. I want to clear this up to whoever else thinks the same that jihad does not mean holy war and go and start a physical battle in the name is Islam.

Jihad actually means, struggling in the name if Islam, and this does not mean struggle as go and fight and have a war, it can be any struggle.

For example, when I have to wake up early in the morning to pray my morning prayer, the time for the morning pray is currently between 5:00- 6:30 and this time will be getting earlier and earlier, as it can be a struggle to wake up early to pray this is seen as a struggle and classed as a form of jihad. So jihad does not mean go and attack and fight those who do not share the same beliefs as you, this is a misconception. It means struggling for the sake of God
    If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask, I will try my best to answer.

ReputationRep:
    I will be actively monitoring this thread to see if anyone qualifies for the TSR Islamophobic list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana_Akram)
    Hi guys, I'm a Muslim girl who spends time with quite a lot of non-Muslims, and when they ask me about my religion I've realised that most of them have this idea that jihad means "holy war" so basically warring for Islam. I want to clear this up to whoever else thinks the same that jihad does not mean holy war and go and start a physical battle in the name is Islam.

Jihad actually means, struggling in the name if Islam, and this does not mean struggle as go and fight and have a war, it can be any struggle.

For example, when I have to wake up early in the morning to pray my morning prayer, the time for the morning pray is currently between 5:00- 6:30 and this time will be getting earlier and earlier, as it can be a struggle to wake up early to pray this is seen as a struggle and classed as a form of jihad. So jihad does not mean go and attack and fight those who do not share the same beliefs as you, this is a misconception. It means struggling for the sake of God
    If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask, I will try my best to answer.
    That may be the case and 'holocaust' does not necessarily mean the event during WWII it can mean destruction such as destruction after a natural disaster. When people have preconceptions of a word because an event so large and so deadly as been linked to the words it's best to leave it alone and avoid the word.

Oliver_94 What are you on about? That's what moderators are for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana_Akram)
    Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

" jihad is of four kinds: Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self), jihad al-Shaytaan (jihad against the Shaytaan), jihad against the kaafirs and jihad against the hypocrites".

And Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“Jihad is of various kinds, with one’s self, one's wealth, by making du’aa’, by teaching and guiding, by helping to do good in any way. The greatest form of jihad is jihad with one’s self (i.e., going oneself and fighting), followed by jihad with one's wealth, jihad by speaking out and guiding others. Da’wah is also part of jihad. But going out oneself to fight in jihad is the highest form. "

(Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 7/334, 335) (emphasis added)

Bottom line : jihad may mean going to war, but not necessarily so

But it can. https://islamqa.info/en/20214

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.