Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Jan 03 phy6 question help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    hmmm i see your point... maybe its got to do with the resistances before it is charged or whilst it is charging... that resistance would be higher which will screw up the results through heat loss... iirc there is a resistor there too... wouldn't exposing it to high voltages heat it up resulting in energy loss whilst the capacitor is charging?
    it is charged without resistance
    but discharged through the FINE insulated wire which I think has resistance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    it is charged without resistance
    but discharged through the FINE insulated wire which I think has resistance
    well erm..... clutching at straws here... wouldn't the rest of the circuits (erm... the other wires) lose heat energy too?

ReputationRep:
    Official markscheme says for one mark each:

1) Quality of written communication
    2) Wc is very small
    3) Even at 50V...it is only 6J
    4) Any change in T is difficult to measure so something like a thermocouple is needed
    5) Wire might melt/fuse
    6) Heat/energy loss to surroundings/air....[not to connecting wires]

Hope this helps

G

ReputationRep:
    so it is supposed to adopt a caloric measurement to determine the energy dissipated

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.