Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trigger Warning 2, seriously I don't want to trigger anyone
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is it weird to fantasise about suicide when really stressed? This past week I've been stressed beyond words and at some points usually in the very early morning (3 am-ish) it seems like everything turns into a weapon I could use but

1) I would never commit suicide, religious reasons and personal beliefs aside I don't have the balls to do it
    2) I know anything I have lying around would most likely fail and I'd end up with a lot of shame and brain/ liver damage.

It's still unsettling though and I don't know what I should do. I don't want to be locked up and sent to a mental hospital, and I don't want my parents notified. Advice please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Trigger Warning 2, seriously I don't want to trigger anyone
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is it weird to fantasise about suicide when really stressed? This past week I've been stressed beyond words and at some points usually in the very early morning (3 am-ish) it seems like everything turns into a weapon I could use but

1) I would never commit suicide, religious reasons and personal beliefs aside I don't have the balls to do it
    2) I know anything I have lying around would most likely fail and I'd end up with a lot of shame and brain/ liver damage.

It's still unsettling though and I don't know what I should do. I don't want to be locked up and sent to a mental hospital, and I don't want my parents notified. Advice please?
    Most people do it, at least from time to time. There's a difference between fantasizing about it and actually going through with it.

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not healthy or something you should be doing, but it's understandable. I myself have been in the same position in the past - but that was mostly because I suffered from depression; now I wouldn't think of that in difficult times.

I advise seeing a doctor/counsellor if you are concerned about your mental wellbeing - your parents don't have to be notified (unless you're under 16, in which case I'm not sure) and you won't be locked up in a mental hospital.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can hear, you don't seem to have intentions on carrying out the act and so are mostly preoccupied passively by the thought. I think that's to an extent understandable if you're currently very stressed. My advice would be to focus on relieving the stress through coping mechanisms [for example, tackling any sleep issues you might have if these thoughts always come on at a certain time at 3AM?] As well as watching out if these thoughts become more intense or prevalent or you begin to feel you are acting on them. I would second the point about speaking to a GP if you feel like that would help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.