The Student Room Group

Is Maths at Royal Holloway good?

Hi everyone, I want to study maths and am considering applying to RHUL next year, was just wondering if the course and uni life is good or not? Im predicted between A*A*A and A*AB in ICT, Maths and Further Maths, possibly another A/B in geography. I love the uni but my teachers not rating it highly :frown:
Original post by emilyp2206
Hi everyone, I want to study maths and am considering applying to RHUL next year, was just wondering if the course and uni life is good or not? Im predicted between A*A*A and A*AB in ICT, Maths and Further Maths, possibly another A/B in geography. I love the uni but my teachers not rating it highly :frown:

Hello Emily,

You may not know that our Maths department is particularly strong in research and was ranked 2nd in the UK forresearch impact (REF 2014). The REF in 2014 also confirmed 91% of our researchis rated world leading or internationally excellent. In terms of our Maths courses, we offer a very varied curriculum specifically designed to both engage and challenge students. The courses we offer include: pure Maths, Discrete Maths, Statistics, Cryptology, Quantum Mechanics as well as Information and Financial Maths.

Though your teachers have given you thoughtful advice already, there will often be varied opinions on each university and it is best to just make sure you research and find the best university for you.

As for the student life, RHUL certainly has much to offer both in daily life as a student and for night life. On campus there is a wide variety of societies available, which are great for meeting new people, and because of the huge choice of clubs, there really is something for everyone. Additionally, having a very popular student union on campus is a huge plus if you enjoy affordable and fun night's out with friends. There are several areas close by which are great for shopping, eating out and night life. Also, since we are close to London, students also benefit from everything the capital has to offer.

It may, however, be best to hear from a former, or current, student to find out more about the RHUL experience. Read about what our students think of university life, using the following link:https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studentlife/studentblogs/home.aspx

Best of luck with your studies.

Matt
Original post by emilyp2206

I'm doing maths at rhul, we have 8 exams every year, which r quite too much, but if you are good and can concentrate on your study, you will be fine. we cannot use what calculators we want, only the TI-30XA from uni is allowed, and it is rubbish, but that means you can study better without a smart calculator. I hate their exam timetable, I used to have 8 exams in 10 days, or just recently, 4 exams in a week. we do have some nice lecturers, most of them are helpful and very welcome when you come to ask for help.
Define "good". There's certainly worse universities out there, but the undergrad course isn't even close to the top end maths universities, which you've got the grades to aim for. Maybe a solid insurance choice?
Hi there, I am looking to study Finance and mathematics at Royal Holloway, but im only predicted a B in mathematics. If I achieve this will I still be given a place as on their website it says an A?
Look forward to hearing from you.
James
I doubt it, seeing as the most important A-level for a Mathematics degree is, you guessed it.... Mathematics.
Original post by vanessa_tram
I'm doing maths at rhul, we have 8 exams every year, which r quite too much, but if you are good and can concentrate on your study, you will be fine. we cannot use what calculators we want, only the TI-30XA from uni is allowed, and it is rubbish, but that means you can study better without a smart calculator. I hate their exam timetable, I used to have 8 exams in 10 days, or just recently, 4 exams in a week. we do have some nice lecturers, most of them are helpful and very welcome when you come to ask for help.

how is 8 exams too many lol, that calculator doesnt really do anything less than the standard casio one that my (or my friends) unis allow. Those issues you mentioned will occur at most unis

Quick Reply

Latest