Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was just wondering about the extent in which universities look at your GCSE grades. I would really like to study medicine at UNI and am currently working really hard at my A-Levels to achieve the best possible grades.

Unfortunately however, that's more that can be said about my GCSEs, and only achieving 5 As (rubbish by TSR standards) I'm worried that this may hold me back when getting a place at university.

Is it too late to correct this? As I did not work as hard at my GCSEs as I could have done because I didn't know what I wanted to do as a career when I was taking my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you've passed gcse english, Maths and science you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    As long as you've passed gcse english, Maths and science you'll be fine.
    Yes, I've passed English, Maths and Science with grade Bs and As, however, I'm aware that medicine is very competitive and there will be many other candidates applying who have far better grades than me.

ReputationRep:
    If you do well in your a-levels then you'll still have a chance. Saying that, it also depends on what a-levels you're doing

ReputationRep:
    Here's the thing. Most of the time, if your GCSE's were not too great but you're A levels were good alongside good entrance exams results, you'll get in.
    However with the growing competition, if your GCSE's aren't on point, they may favour you for one candidate over another.
    Generally, most universities do not care much about GCSE's so I am sure you can get into many universities for medicine if your A levels are good.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You need GCSE Maths and English for university applications.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with MezmorisedPotato. But don't worry, you have opportunities in BMAT etc. A levels and also for many universities, interviews. Furthermore, you're GCSE's aren't bad at all, and in my opinion will only be of importance to the really top end universities who just get so many applicants that they really need to use every tool they have. However, do not underestimate your 6th form work/results, high marks here will get you through - just don't give them an excuse to use GCSE's as a factor. (They tend to resort to GCSE's rather than actively use them to discriminate)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.