The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Architecture University of Westminster 2016 entry

Hi guys, just wondering if anybody applied for architecture at westminster. It would be nice to get to know some of you guys before uni term starts!

Has anybody firmed or insured Westminster?

Where are you guys from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryamrangel
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody applied for architecture at westminster. It would be nice to get to know some of you guys before uni term starts!

Has anybody firmed or insured Westminster?

Where are you guys from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello

Congratulations on your offer to study Architecture at Westminster. Here is the link to the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment's Facebook and Twitter pages that you may find interesting.

If you are looking for student accommodation the Halls Portal will be opening (hopefully) from Wednesday this week so do keep an eye out on the Accommodation web page.

Good luck with your studies.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by University of Westminster
Hello

Congratulations on your offer to study Architecture at Westminster. Here is the link to the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment's Facebook and Twitter pages that you may find interesting.

If you are looking for student accommodation the Halls Portal will be opening (hopefully) from Wednesday this week so do keep an eye out on the Accommodation web page.

Good luck with your studies.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:

Hey and thanks for the useful information :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASDSZ94
HI, Are you going to study for Part 1 or 2 at Westminster ?

I'm going for part 1, I'm guessing you're doing part 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Arty okay cool, Yh i am lol. Moving to London to do it.
What made you choose Westminster?
Original post by ASDSZ94
Arty okay cool, Yh i am lol. Moving to London to do it.
What made you choose Westminster?

I orginally applied for some top unis in London for architecture that I liked the idea of and others that were realistic for me to get into and Westminster was one of the ones I liked from looking at the university website.
Went to an interview, the people were nice & friendly, the tutors too. It's third for architecture in London I believe?
It's central so it's a nice area to study in and I had an older friend who is studying literature there so I knew of it before but she's leaving for postgrad soon. It has good industry links and it's near the RIBA :smile: I really like the atmosphere tbh, compared to places like UAL central saint Martins which I applied to. I also felt that Westminster was quite diverse and it doesn't seem snobbish? I know that sounds weird but idk when I visited the other unis they all seemed stiff (apart from university of Greenwich they were great! The location just isn't for me tho)

Sorry for the waffle! Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Haha no its fine, i understand too. i had a similar time applying but it eventually came down between greenwich and westminster and the main reason i chose westminster was because of the interview i had with the course leader about architectural philosophies etc, not mentioning the facilities. Atmosphere of the studios seemed nice and the fact the studios were very diverse in its teaching. But then greenwich was good as i knew a few tutors from my part 1, so it was a very hard choice.
Original post by ASDSZ94
Haha no its fine, i understand too. i had a similar time applying but it eventually came down between greenwich and westminster and the main reason i chose westminster was because of the interview i had with the course leader about architectural philosophies etc, not mentioning the facilities. Atmosphere of the studios seemed nice and the fact the studios were very diverse in its teaching. But then greenwich was good as i knew a few tutors from my part 1, so it was a very hard choice.

Oh I see, well if that's the case I'm glad I put Greenwich down as insurance then. Hopefully we both get the grades we need this year :smile: any advice to give to an undergrad taking architecture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASDSZ94
Luckily enough i don't need grades to rely upon, but i am currently on my year out working in Birmingham. Hmmm well personally for me, it wasn't what i thought and took a while getting used to the work intensity. but tbh just have fun and enjoy what you do and design. Its a different experience for everyone because everyone reacts differently to each brief. Oh and don't let tutors completely dictate your designs. sometimes you have to fight for it with reasoning and they'll most likely respect that. Theres much more i could say but that hits the basics i think lol.

Basics are fine haha, best not to overwhelm me lol, and oh hey! I'm from Birmingham snap! Are you working in an architect firm because the only areas I know that have them are in Sheldon (towards Solihull) and in the city centre. Aw that's lucky, I need to work really hard this year to try get in 😭

Hmm and what would cause a tutor to dictate the design, because they feel it's not suited to the briefing/criteria or is it because the design may not be their taste? Like how often do tutors begin to dictate designs, is that normal? Critiquing is ok I guess but an actual disagreement that would make tutors begin to control the design a little, how often does that happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASDSZ94
hahah Sorry, it is good fun don't worry. oh really thats cool, yh I'm at Glenn Howells in the centre, really good experience, got the job through my final crit. Its not normal but everyone has their own dislikes and likes for example one tutor might like a design and the other won't. i think it all depends on the tutors. Its nothing to worry about, from my experience a lot of student kind of just keep saying yh to tutors ideas and its not what they really want.

What subjects are you studying at A Level?

Glenn Howells, nice one pal! I did work experience at Jacob's Architects in Sheldon a while ago. Oh I see I understand what you mean now. It's similar to A level art where different teachers give their opinion on your work and final idea etc.
I'm currently studying: Biology, Art & Chemistry at A Level
What did you study when you were doing A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASDSZ94
Thanks :smile: Yh like that tbh. Thats a good range of subjects. Im sure you'll be fine. I Studied Art/Graphic Design, Maths, Psychology and Physics at AS.

Which one did you drop at A2, if any? I dropped maths. Ah I sure hope so haha, btw is CAD hard to learn how to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I've firmed Westminister for archi :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest