Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    DMU is absolutely perfect for the course I would like to do, and I am seriously considering firming the university.

However during the open days I attended I couldn't help but notice were buildings and building work absolutely everywhere, and I couldn't find much green space or open area (I didn't get to have a look far outside the campus though)

I'm very aware that DMU is in a city, so it's bound to be filled with buildings and building work, but I've never lived in such an environment before and I'm worried it's going to get me down - that all the buildings and lack of greenery are going to make me feel downright sad.

Is this something that DMU students feel? I know this is a pretty ridiculous question, but I worry about the tiniest of things and can't seem to stop thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    ngl there's almost no green space at all on campus. I think it's the only uni without a rugby field. That said there are a few parks around the place and a large public park about ~20 minutes walk away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    ngl there's almost no green space at all on campus. I think it's the only uni without a rugby field. That said there are a few parks around the place and a large public park about ~20 minutes walk away.
    When it's warm, are there any other places to sit and enjoy the sun and that then? Just nice areas you can hang around?

And as for the park, is it nice? Is it worth the 20 minute walk?

I'm so sorry for the amount of questions omg. For some reason this is the stuff I'm really worrying about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odetosleep)
    When it's warm, are there any other places to sit and enjoy the sun and that then? Just nice areas you can hang around?

And as for the park, is it nice? Is it worth the 20 minute walk?

I'm so sorry for the amount of questions omg. For some reason this is the stuff I'm really worrying about...
    The park is nice and there is a smallish garden like area just off of campus. It's a nice city tbh.

Don't worry about asking it's natural if you're moving to a new city

ReputationRep:
    Go UoL

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite lmao, I like less green and more beautiful buildings. I was very impressed with Leicester city centre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odetosleep)
    DMU is absolutely perfect for the course I would like to do, and I am seriously considering firming the university.

However during the open days I attended I couldn't help but notice were buildings and building work absolutely everywhere, and I couldn't find much green space or open area (I didn't get to have a look far outside the campus though)

I'm very aware that DMU is in a city, so it's bound to be filled with buildings and building work, but I've never lived in such an environment before and I'm worried it's going to get me down - that all the buildings and lack of greenery are going to make me feel downright sad.

Is this something that DMU students feel? I know this is a pretty ridiculous question, but I worry about the tiniest of things and can't seem to stop thinking about it.
    I might be too late to have an input but although a lot of work is currently being done, everything on campus will be finished by the start of the next academic year. DMU are aware about the lack of green space, and so a grass areas is being put in where the Fletcher building currently sits https://www.dmu.ac.uk/documents/stud...tober-2015.pdf (that's a cmapus map so you can see where it will be).

Bede park (behind building 3) comes alive in the summer and is a great green area to hang out, along with Castle Gardens. There is also an open park area towards the city centre on the East side of St Nicholas Circle (best looked at on Google maps), which is lovely to walk through, and will be your fastest route to High Cross. Being from Leicester but having lived in the countryside until university, I had similar concerns, but you can go home whenever you like, and you will find yourself working and partying too much to pay attention to the amount of greenery!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.