The Student Room Group

Don't women have any control over their level of attractiveness?

I was bored and came across a website that seemed to contain threads by some self assured and fairly angry men :tongue:. I think it was made to help men through life and there was a thread about SMV (sexual market value). They all agreed that men were more sought after as they aged and developed themselves whereas for women there was a dramatic drop after 35-40 (due to biological lack of fertility cues and loss of youth). At this point apparantly men have the upper had and women become unwanted if they are looking to date. There is some biological truth to an extent but a lot of generalisations about women and some posts made out like it was set in stone.

I wondered then, as women get older say through their 50's, is there snything they can do to increase their 'SMV'? Since men appear to have control of their smv (can improve career, develop a good body, 'game' etc which apparantly are all sought after traits. However according to this theory women have no control, smv all seems to be tied to their youth and fertility. Its ironic that as men who want to be in control they take on and follow a theory where they have all control over their smv :tongue:

So just wanted opinions, what do you think women can do to work on themselves, or this smv, as they age?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Undoubtedly there is a higher level of obsession in men with dating / having sex with young women. This said I imagine women past their reproductive prime still have some opportunities, bearing in mind most men of a similar age won't be able to indulge their fantasies and a few may even consider it inappropriate even if they could. And to answer your question of course you can stay in shape and exploit the attractiveness that comes with experience and maturity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I guess there's plastic surgery but I'm sure any sensible woman won't decide on her self worth dependent on how attractive men find her.
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
Well I guess there's plastic surgery but I'm sure any sensible woman won't decide on her self worth dependent on how attractive men find her.

Yea that's definitely true but I don't mean worth/value in general, I just mean the ability to attract basically. They just call it sexual market value lol.
Reply 4
my mums 39 next month and people think shes 25 and were sisters. its all in the genes
Think its a bit flawed. Women at 50 can appeal to men younger, but larhely older. Not all men wnat children and by that age they might be divorced and fed up with family.

Both men and women are born with a certain level of attractiveness (notwithstanding different people like different things).
You can have a career for financial self sufficiency.
You can make the most of what you have, dress and style.
be in ood physical shape.
Personality , intelligence, confidence and being good company
experience is not to be sneered at sexual and other.

Men also have these challenges.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
exploit the attractiveness that comes with experience and maturity.

That's what I'm talking about though, apparently attractiveness doesn't come with experience or age for women yet it's supposed to for men.
Original post by Anonymous
That's what I'm talking about though, apparently attractiveness doesn't come with experience or age for women yet it's supposed to for men.

It's does its just different. Sexual attractiveness doesnt just come in the form of youth.
Reply 8
[QUOTE=Anonymous;63806131]That's what I'm talking about though, apparently attractiveness doesn't come with experience or age for women yet it's supposed to for men.
I think physical beauty does decline faster for women but undoubtedly maturity can bring attractive personality attributes.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Think its a bit flawed. Women at 50 can appeal to men younger, but larhely older. Not all men wnat children and by that age they might be divorced and fed up with family.

Both men and women are born with a certain level of attractiveness (notwithstanding different people like different things).
You can have a career for financial self sufficiency.
You can make the most of what you have, dress and style.
be in ood physical shape.
Personality , intelligence, confidence and being good company
experience is not to be sneered at sexual and other.

Men also have these challenges.

I guess so, this smv thing doesn't seem to take any of that into account it is very generalised. There was a thread about Hugh Jackman who is married to an average looking wife more than 10 years older than him. Many said that because his 'smv' is sky high they couldn't understand why he was still with her and not 'upgrading' to a young model :tongue: Some said they were baffled and tried to give explanations like maybe she's a good housewife. The idea that he might just love her wasn't mentioned once :tongue:
Reply 10
They can work to maintain their looks
I guess so, this smv thing doesn't seem to take any of that into account it is very generalised. There was a thread about Hugh Jackman who is married to an average looking wife more than 10 years older than him. Many said that because his 'smv' is sky high they couldn't understand why he was still with her and not 'upgrading' to a young model :tongue: Some said they were baffled and tried to give explanations like maybe she's a good housewife. The idea that he might just love her wasn't mentioned once :tongue:

Yes thats the obvious one I missed out. If your in a relationship then you move past looks. I thought you were on about the single 50 yeat old back on the market. Jerry Hall is an interesting example as Tipert could have married quite a few.

Btw Hugh dotes on his wife and he thinks he's the lucky one if youve ever seen any interviews.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes thats the obvious one I missed out. If your in a relationship then you move past looks. I thought you were on about the single 50 yeat old back on the market. Jerry Hall is an interesting example as Tipert could have married quite a few.

Btw Hugh dotes on his wife and he thinks he's the lucky one if youve ever seen any interviews.

I was on about single 50 year olds back on the market I was just diverting a bit. My guess is that even if he is lucky (she might be an awesome person) he will probably just be saying that he's the lucky one to please her/make her feel better.
Original post by difeo
They can work to maintain their looks

That's kind of like fighting a losing battle though whereas increasing work status/resources isn't so much.
I was on about single 50 year olds back on the market I was just diverting a bit. My guess is that even if he is lucky (she might be an awesome person) he will probably just be saying that he's the lucky one to please her/make her feel better.

Go and find out about Hugh jackman hes iven many interviews about their relationship and growing up. No he means it.
There is some definite truth to it! Im 19 and haven grown facial hair and some muscle mass ive been told i look miles better! So i can see how mens smv would get higher as they got older but there would be a peak and then for it to decline! Same cant be said for women as their smv peaks around early twenties!
Some suggestions:
improve career, develop a good body, 'game' etc
Luck in genetics and keeping fit works wonders. :tongue:
I was bored and came across a website that seemed to contain threads by some self assured and fairly angry men :tongue:. I think it was made to help men through life and there was a thread about SMV (sexual market value). They all agreed that men were more sought after as they aged and developed themselves whereas for women there was a dramatic drop after 35-40 (due to biological lack of fertility cues and loss of youth). At this point apparantly men have the upper had and women become unwanted if they are looking to date. There is some biological truth to an extent but a lot of generalisations about women and some posts made out like it was set in stone.

I wondered then, as women get older say through their 50's, is there snything they can do to increase their 'SMV'? Since men appear to have control of their smv (can improve career, develop a good body, 'game' etc which apparantly are all sought after traits. However according to this theory women have no control, smv all seems to be tied to their youth and fertility. Its ironic that as men who want to be in control they take on and follow a theory where they have all control over their smv :tongue:

So just wanted opinions, what do you think women can do to work on themselves, or this smv, as they age?

Was this the Red Pill Reddit by any chance?

That place is toxic lol
Yes it was lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending