Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the minute im picking my alevel choices. Im quite set on doing maths physics and chemistry and i have to pick one more. Im torn between further maths and technology and design. Im expecting A's in both for GCSE.

Im interested in engineering but not entirely sure on what course. Perhaps structural engineering with architecture, or civil, or maybe even mechanical.

At the minute my favourite subject is technology and design, i love the hands on aspect and using the CAD programmes. I do also like further maths, but definitely not as much as technology. Ive heard however further maths can help you in Uni in engineering courses. In your opinion is it essential? I would pick further maths if it would greatly greatly help me but not if its not totally essential. Could i manage without doing further maths?

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths is better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Doug1234)
    At the minute im picking my alevel choices. Im quite set on doing maths physics and chemistry and i have to pick one more. Im torn between further maths and technology and design. Im expecting A's in both for GCSE.

Im interested in engineering but not entirely sure on what course. Perhaps structural engineering with architecture, or civil, or maybe even mechanical.

At the minute my favourite subject is technology and design, i love the hands on aspect and using the CAD programmes. I do also like further maths, but definitely not as much as technology. Ive heard however further maths can help you in Uni in engineering courses. In your opinion is it essential? I would pick further maths if it would greatly greatly help me but not if its not totally essential. Could i manage without doing further maths?
    Further maths is more useful for completing the degree. CAD is probably more useful to your eventual job as an engineer, and some hands on experience is useful, too.

However you will do CAD work during your degree, and you can also get proficient with it during your own time, too. So further maths is probably the better option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.