Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wondering about 'The Pill' and looking for advice Watch

I'm 18 and going to uni after the summer. Not sexually active, but when I am in the future, i want to already be prepared. I've always had reallyyyyy bad period symptoms (cramps, nausea, dizziness) and I'm wondering whether going on the pill would be beneficial.
    I'm basically looking for any females advice:
    When did you start the pill? Do you wish you had done it sooner/later? How/when did you approach it with any family/mum? What do you wish you knew about the pill before you started using it? Do you think its worth the effort -even when you're not using it as a contraceptive?
    And also, one of my main confusions: How did you go about getting it, where from and what was the reaction you got when you asked for it? What's the process like? I basically never go to the doctors and haven't seen a medical professional since I was about 6 years old (o.o)
    As you can see, I have a lot of questions and I'm really confused about whether I should or shouldn't. Thanks a lot
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    My case is slightly different. I had to ask for the pill because my periods were giving me migraine. I just told the GP that my periods were giving me migraine and it was something I'd noticed for the last few months; but wasn't too sure whether it was just a coincidence. Unfortuantely, having spent the last 5 days with migraine and a period, I realised it wasn't.

She suggested the pill. I then asked if I could even take it. I'd done some of my own research and it says on my medication that it can stop the pill from working. She explained that it's only if you use it as contraception and if I do need contraception, to come back and she'll talk to me about that.

It has completely messed my periods up, (which I was warned about) but it is better than spending 5 days a month in serious pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 18 and going to uni after the summer. Not sexually active, but when I am in the future, i want to already be prepared. I've always had reallyyyyy bad period symptoms (cramps, nausea, dizziness) and I'm wondering whether going on the pill would be beneficial.
    I'm basically looking for any females advice:
    When did you start the pill? Do you wish you had done it sooner/later? How/when did you approach it with any family/mum? What do you wish you knew about the pill before you started using it? Do you think its worth the effort -even when you're not using it as a contraceptive?
    And also, one of my main confusions: How did you go about getting it, where from and what was the reaction you got when you asked for it? What's the process like? I basically never go to the doctors and haven't seen a medical professional since I was about 6 years old (o.o)
    As you can see, I have a lot of questions and I'm really confused about whether I should or shouldn't. Thanks a lot
    Well if you go on the pill I would do it for the pain not as a contraceptive. The pill can be annoying. It took me about 8 months to get used to taking it. I still have an alarm clock to go off to remind me everyday and it is annoying if I have changes in plans as I can't just stay at friends last minute as I don't have the pill with me and don't want to miss one. So it is a bit frustrating at times.

Also note if you are using it as a contraceptive you will need to use condoms as it doesn't protect you from STIs. It is only useful if you are in a monogoneous relationship where you know your partner is clean and only sleeping with you.

For me personally I started taking it last year at the age of 25. I was happy before that with just condoms. I am not one to sleep around though and had relationships using only them. I was too worried it mess up my cycle. However now I have a serious boyfriend and trust he is clean and doesn't sleep with anyone else so I made the decision to try. I decided to go on the pill when we talked about moving in together.
    For me there has been little negative effect. My periods are so light and so consistent. My only side effect has been that sometimes I have bad nipple pain but that doesn't last too long. Also although apparently there is no relation it seems too much of a coincidence that I went up 2 cup sizes in bra size at the same time I started taking the pill.

Anyway my advice is not to worry about the pill if you only want it as a contraceptive. It won't be worth it at the moment. However if you want it to ease the pain of your periods I would consider it. Just remember everyone reacts differently.
    If you want to talk about this more, please feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely worth it for heavy periods - I took it a few years ago, just for a year and it sorted my periods out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming a bit late to the party, but here's my input - I started the pill last summer aged 17 (but only just. Like two weeks after my birthday). I only went on it because my periods were ridiculously irregular, even after 8 years, and I'd have nothing for a couple of months and then two or three weeks of intermittent bleeding. The pill fixed that right up! I now start on a Thursday morning, and I've finished by Monday evening. Every time, without fail. It's wonderful. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but I decided when I'd be going on a month long holiday that involved scuba diving that I would go on it to prevent any awkwardness from ruing the trip. It also means that when I am sexually active (virgin over here!), I know that I'll be protected from the start, and if there's any nasty accidents when you get too drunk and make a few mistakes, it doesn't matter as much. I approached it with my mum by talking about how worried I was about starting while on holiday, complaining about irregularity, talking about how my friends recommended it. She was a bit iffy about it, probably because her little girl was growing up, but agreed that it was the best thing in my situation, and that if it didn't work as well I could always come off it again.

The process - I went to the GP, asked if there were any appointments in the next couple of weeks, preferably with a female GP. When you get there (I took my mum with me!), just explain what's happening. Specify that it's not for contraceptive reasons at the moment, it's for period symptoms. Explain the symptoms the best you can. They'll ask you about medical history, take your blood pressure (in very rare cases the pill can affect blood pressure and cause heart problems), take your height and weight, and give you a prescription. Seriously, they don't care that you're asking for a contraceptive pill. Like, at all. One of my friends went on it at 13, just a year after her period started, because of cramps, and she got no judgement at all. The GP will probably give you a three month prescription, or that's what happened with me, and you'll need to go back after three months for them to make sure it hasn't had any negative effects. I ended up getting three months worth twice, then six months last time I went. After a year or so they'll be fine giving you enough for a year. You might get some side effects in the first week or so (I got slight stomach cramps and a bit of a headache, like i wasn't drinking enough water) but your body will settle down after a while. You might have to go to a separate pharmacy to get the drugs if there's not one at your GP, Superdrug and Boots have them. Just hand your prescription over and they'll fill it for you. They don't even say what it is out loud, if that's what you're worried about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.