The Student Room Group

My OCD has gotten worse after getting better

Hey everyone.
I have OCD and have had therapy for it (CBT).
It worked but I'm still not 100% yet.
I have been working on getting it there and there were some positive signs. However, today has been a step in the other direction. Everything seems to have gotten worse and I don't know why. I'm having to carry out my rituals more than I have been recently.
Is there a logical explanation for this?
I'm on medication and am taking it everyday.
I've done nothing differently than I would normally do.
I'm really confused and hope it's only temporary!
Thanks
Recovery from any issue, especially mental illness, does not happen overnight nor does your mental health improve exponentially, you'll have good days and bad days but that's an important part of getting past it in working out the best way to bounce back, look into other treatments to try and speak to your gp if you feel something needs to change but don't give up hope, you're stronger and more resilient than you think! Good luck!! :smile:
Why does it say this post was put up in 1970??
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
Why does it say this post was put up in 1970??

Bug with the forum software. Dates are typically stored in a database as a UNIX timestamp which is measured by how many seconds have elapsed since Thursday, 1 January 1970 at 00:00:00 UTC. I'm guessing no date was set which is why it pulls up a default value. Either that or they started this thread in 1970. :tongue:

Sorry for digression, you can have your thread back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NX172
Bug with the forum software. Dates are typically stored in a database as a UNIX timestamp which is measured by how many seconds have elapsed since Thursday, 1 January 1970 at 00:00:00 UTC. I'm guessing no date was set which is why it pulls up a default value. Either that or they started this thread in 1970. :tongue:

Sorry for digression, you can have your thread back.

Thanks, I didn't know that
Reply 5
Recovery from any issue, especially mental illness, does not happen overnight nor does your mental health improve exponentially, you'll have good days and bad days but that's an important part of getting past it in working out the best way to bounce back, look into other treatments to try and speak to your gp if you feel something needs to change but don't give up hope, you're stronger and more resilient than you think! Good luck!! :smile:

Its taken a while to get this far so its good that its still improving.
I was just confused as to why it got bad randomly. But i have felt better today so thats a positive sign.
Ive already had two rounds of CBT which helped but not as much as i expected it too.
I wont give up, i really want to eradicate the OCD i have and be normal again (well, as much as i can be anyway). I hope im stronger than i think i am.
Thanks! :smile:

Also i dont remember posting the thread in 1970 haha.
Must be a glitch in the system.
Original post by Anonymous
Its taken a while to get this far so its good that its still improving.
I was just confused as to why it got bad randomly. But i have felt better today so thats a positive sign.
Ive already had two rounds of CBT which helped but not as much as i expected it too.
I wont give up, i really want to eradicate the OCD i have and be normal again (well, as much as i can be anyway). I hope im stronger than i think i am.
Thanks! :smile:

Also i dont remember posting the thread in 1970 haha.
Must be a glitch in the system.

No problem, I'm in a similar position with anxiety but I can definitely see a huge overall improvement even from a few months ago, you'll get there!
Hey everyone.
I have OCD and have had therapy for it (CBT).
It worked but I'm still not 100% yet.
I have been working on getting it there and there were some positive signs. However, today has been a step in the other direction. Everything seems to have gotten worse and I don't know why. I'm having to carry out my rituals more than I have been recently.
Is there a logical explanation for this?
I'm on medication and am taking it everyday.
I've done nothing differently than I would normally do.
I'm really confused and hope it's only temporary!
Thanks

I haven't been treated for my OCD, but I find it goes up and down from time to time. It's usually when I've just been going through a good patch that I then turn back on myself and get worse. My obsessive thoughts have been particularly bad lately, and they hadn't been bad in a while.

I find that stress makes it worse, because I almost use my OCD to channel the stress. And other things can make my OCD erratically worse than it was before. Is there anything going on in your life that might be stressful or causing it to be worse?
Reply 8
No problem, I'm in a similar position with anxiety but I can definitely see a huge overall improvement even from a few months ago, you'll get there!

Its good to hear your improving. Anxiety is tough to deal with!
I hope so.
Youll get there too!
Reply 9
Original post by Tillybop
I haven't been treated for my OCD, but I find it goes up and down from time to time. It's usually when I've just been going through a good patch that I then turn back on myself and get worse. My obsessive thoughts have been particularly bad lately, and they hadn't been bad in a while.

I find that stress makes it worse, because I almost use my OCD to channel the stress. And other things can make my OCD erratically worse than it was before. Is there anything going on in your life that might be stressful or causing it to be worse?

I usually get worse when somethings sets off my OCD really badly. I then have to recover from that.
I have obsessive thoughts and they are getting a lot better. Hopefully yours will improve soon. Its a really horrible thing to have so i hope you can eliminate it soon!

I agree. Stress is what gave me the OCD in the first place so staying away from it is vital!
The fact that i dont know whether ive got a job or not for Spetember is getting me a bit stressed. Im hoping to find out soon.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully your OCD will improve soon!!
I usually get worse when somethings sets off my OCD really badly. I then have to recover from that.
I have obsessive thoughts and they are getting a lot better. Hopefully yours will improve soon. Its a really horrible thing to have so i hope you can eliminate it soon!

I agree. Stress is what gave me the OCD in the first place so staying away from it is vital!
The fact that i dont know whether ive got a job or not for Spetember is getting me a bit stressed. Im hoping to find out soon.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully your OCD will improve soon!!

When I'm trying to work out what's triggered my OCD to get worse, I usually write down anything that is causing stress or an otherwise negative problem. It usually helps to pin those issues on a wall somewhere and cross them off as you deal with them. It kinda gives you a sense of achievement, that helps me somewhat.

Thanks, I hope things improve for you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest