Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have another momentum question, 10a attached

I've also attached a modified version of the diagram displaying what I think I need to do

I simply do not understand why mgcos20 doesn't give me the right answer

thanks for any help!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateocr12345)

I've also attached a modified version of the diagram displaying what I think I need to do

thanks for any help!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 01.44.06.png
Views: 51
Size:  73.6 KB This is what the mark scheme says, I do understand their method, however I don't understand why I can't do it the way I suggested above

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 01.44.06.png
Views: 51
Size:  73.6 KB This is what the mark scheme says, I do understand their method, however I don't understand why I can't do it the way I suggested above
    R is going to be greater than the weight... the car is in vertical equilibrium so the vertical component of R=mg

cos (θ) only gives values from -1 to +1, the maximum value of mg cos (θ) is equal to mg (and that's when θ = 0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    R is going to be greater than the weight... the car is in vertical equilibrium so the vertical component of R=mg

cos (θ) only gives values from -1 to +1, the maximum value of mg cos (θ) is equal to mg (and that's when θ = 0)
    Thanks for the reply!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA4BvYdw7Xg - According to this guy, and many other people, it's done the way I have done. And to be honest, I think it may be an error in the mark scheme. Surely it would make sense for R = mg when θ = 0, and for R < mg when θ > 0. When θ is gradually increased to 90, the reaction force surely gradually decreases to 0, and equals 0 when θ = 90?

ReputationRep:

thanks for any help!
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 37
Size:  43.2 KB

I formed the triangle differently to you (check diagram above).

Angle at the bottom = 20 degrees, to find the force acting perpendicular to the slope, I used trig:

Hypotenuse: 8044.2 N
    Adjacent: ??

To find the adjacent:

CAH
    cos(20) = a / 8044.2
    a = 8044.2 cos(20)
    a = 7559 N

I think the answer they've given is wrong if you got the same answer as me?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Have you tried sin theta?

ReputationRep:
    I had literally the same problem yesterday
    Let me explain it to you, the car is travelling around the bank, this means that it has a horizontal acceleration (centripetal acceleration), correct? The normal to the bank, i.e. the direction of R, is NOT perpendicular to the centripetal acceleration, this means that the centripetal acceleration has a component in the direction perpendicular to the bank. So,
    R - MGcostheta does not equal zero, it equals the component of the centripetal force perpendicular to the bank which is NOT zero. This is why you must solve in the vertical direction. In the vertical direction, there is no force as the vertical direction is perpendicular to the centripetal force. Also, if there was a force in the vertical direction the car would fly

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Let me explain it to you, the car is travelling around the bank, this means that it has a horizontal acceleration (centripetal acceleration), correct? The normal to the bank, i.e. the direction of R, is NOT perpendicular to the centripetal acceleration, this means that the centripetal acceleration has a component in the direction perpendicular to the bank. So,
    R - MGcostheta does not equal zero, it equals the component of the centripetal force perpendicular to the bank which is NOT zero. This is why you must solve in the vertical direction. In the vertical direction, there is no force as the vertical direction is perpendicular to the centripetal force. Also, if there was a force in the vertical direction the car would fly
    Reaction force is equal to mg
    So resultant vertical force is zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Reaction force is equal to mg
    So resultant vertical force is zero.
    Yea but reaction forces does not equal mgcostheta. R > Mg costheta.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    try tan theta

reaction force of mg / reaction force of centripietal = grtantheta ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and explanation! still really confused

How can centripetal acceleration have a component perpendicular to the bank? I thought it acts perpendicularly to the direction of motion, which is towards the centre of the circle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 37
Size:  43.2 KB

I formed the triangle differently to you (check diagram above).

Angle at the bottom = 20 degrees, to find the force acting perpendicular to the slope, I used trig:

Hypotenuse: 8044.2 N
    Adjacent: ??

To find the adjacent:

CAH
    cos(20) = a / 8044.2
    a = 8044.2 cos(20)
    a = 7559 N

I think the answer they've given is wrong if you got the same answer as me?

And this is the answer I got

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and explanation! still really confused

How can centripetal acceleration have a component perpendicular to the bank? I thought it acts perpendicularly to the direction of motion, which is towards the centre of the circle?
    Yea it does. Look, here's a general a rule, if you have a force or any vector in general, it has components in ALL directions not perpendicular to it.
    For example, you can always find the component of gravity perpendicular to the surface, right? Now if the surface was perfectly vertical, gravity can't have a component perpendicular to the surface, right?

Now the centripetal force is horizontal towards the centre. The bank is slightly tilted, so that the horizontal is not perpendicular to the bank's perpendicular. This means that there is a component of the centripetal force perpendicular to the bank. Thus, R- MgCostheta does not equal zero, it equals that component. The component is in fact equal to Fcentripetal * Sintheta.
    So R- MgCostheta = F Centripetal * sin Theta.

ReputationRep:
    Yea it does. Look, here's a general a rule, if you have a force or any vector in general, it has components in ALL directions not perpendicular to it.
    For example, you can always find the component of gravity perpendicular to the surface, right? Now if the surface was perfectly vertical, gravity can't have a component perpendicular to the surface, right?

Now the centripetal force is horizontal towards the centre. The bank is slightly tilted, so that the horizontal is not perpendicular to the bank's perpendicular. This means that there is a component of the centripetal force perpendicular to the bank. Thus, R- MgCostheta does not equal zero, it equals that component. The component is in fact equal to Fcentripetal * Sintheta.
    So R- MgCostheta = F Centripetal * sin Theta.
    i think i understand now, however were does "F Centripetal * sin Theta" come from?

ReputationRep:
    i think i understand now, however were does "F Centripetal * sin Theta" come from?
    Breaking up the horizontal force (centripetal) into a direction perpendicular to the bank and parallel to the bank. A bit of geometry will help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.