Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fast way to treat cold and headache? watch

ReputationRep:
    Go on tell me please I need some relief painkillers are placebos

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Having chicken soup,make sure you're getting enough vitamin C,honey is also good for you! take medication it needs be. Hope you feel better soon

Oh and also steamy showers just to try and clear a blocked nose

ReputationRep:
    Why is chicken soup so highly recommended? I thought it was just a saying like if youre ill drink chicken soup..even though it would not help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Paracetamol and sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Painkillers are not placebos, although it's true they probably won't make your cold (or all its symptoms) disappear. I can vouch for them on taking a fever down, helping headaches, and getting rid of period pain (which is probably not a part of your cold).

If you have congestion the best thing would probably be something like a lemsip/beechams, which contains a decongestant. I tried it when I had a bad cold once and it was like a miracle. If you have to function it can be worth trying it to stop the nose block/drippage. I can't take them now because my medication interacts with the decongestant, but if I could I would.

Something spicy can also work to help shift mucous/other fluids, but be ready with several tissues.

Keep hydrated (especially helpful for headaches) and try and have some warm drinks to keep things moving.

If you can sleep. Sleep. Its the best way of not feeling anything. If not you're screwed, nothing can help you now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    Go on tell me please I need some relief painkillers are placebos

Posted from TSR Mobile
    COLD

Treat a stuffy nose with warm salt water
    Salt-water rinsing helps break nasal congestion, while also removing virus particles and bacteria from your nose.

Take a steamy shower
    Steamy showers moisturise your nasal passages and relax you. If you're full up with the flu, run a steamy shower while you sit on a chair nearby

Sleep with an extra pillow under your head
    This will help relieve congested nasal passages. If the angle is too awkward, try placing the pillows between the mattress and the box springs to create a more gradual slope.

Eat infection-fighting foods

Here are some good foods to eat when you're battling a cold or flu:

Bananas: Soothe upset stomachs.

Peppers: Loaded with vitamin C.

Blueberries: Curbs diarrhoea, high in natural aspirin. (May lower fevers and help with the aches and pains.)

Carrots: Loaded with beta-carotene.

HEADACHE

Massage
    For temporary relief, try rubbing your temples or getting a neck, back, head, or shoulder massage.

Aerobics
    Regular aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, biking, or swimming, can reduce migraine intensity and frequency, according to the National Pain Foundation.

Meditation
    Various meditation techniques can be used to focus attention and quiet the mind from distractions such as chronic pain.

Relaxation exercises
    Deep breathing, relaxing to music, or using mental imagery can help people unwind and possibly help with headache too. Additional research is needed, however.A study of 90 people with tension headaches found that relaxation training improved their sleep more than acupuncture.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Time to flex my muscles here: everything comes down to poo.

but in seriousness: to reduce fever and pain, you would need an anti-pyretic agent (eg paracetamol or an NSAID like ibuprofen or aspirin- NSAID used assuming your not asthmatic, have kidney problems, bleeding problems, gastrointestinal ulceration/irritation, are on drugs which require constant monitoring or which affect potassium levels in your blood).

nasal congestion: decongestants such as phenylephrine, xylometazoline, (pseudo)ephidrine can be useful as can (bizarely) caffeine. with these agents, be careful if you have heart conditions as this can adversely affect heart-rate and blood pressure

you can get products containing caffeine, a sympathomimetic and an anti-pretic analgesic from pharmacies over the counter, but be aware of restrictions (ephidirine products can only be sold as 1 pack as it can be used to make crystal meth).

Also make sure you sneeze frequently/ stay hydrated to force the pathogen out. you can try using steam inhalation to make it come out of your nose as well.

ps regarding the placebo comment: analgesics generally have NNT figures of 2-5 (ie 2-5 people need to be treated to see max benefit. Most other drugs have way lower figures than that (metformin is something like 40 and thats the most commonly prescribed drug for type 2 diabetes

ReputationRep:
    sprite and chicken soup.

went to work with severe flu the way I got over the worst symptoms (nasty cough + sore throat) was having a flask of boiled water with honey+ginger keeps you hydrated and makes your throat better.

It wont cure you as the next day I was totally crippled by the flu and had to miss a week of work (almost £600 , for someone saving for their MSc that was a huge blow) but it will definitely make you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Im dying help i swear i can see the light

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Having chicken soup,make sure you're getting enough vitamin C,honey is also good for you!
    Don't forget Vitamin D + beta glucans + electrosmog avoidance! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    before you think i'm joking I'm not.

headache: orgasm.

best treatment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.