Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171758-...-materials.pdf
    I don't really understand question 5bii- please could someone explain (mark scheme at bottom of pdf)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by runny4)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171758-...-materials.pdf
    I don't really understand question 5bii- please could someone explain (mark scheme at bottom of pdf)
    The marks scheme seems pretty clear.

the magnetic field is pointing from left to right
    the change in the magnetic field is that it is becoming weaker
    the induced current tries to oppose the change (according to lenz law)
    therefore the induced current must be in the direction which would produce a magnetic field pointing from left to right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The marks scheme seems pretty clear.

the magnetic field is pointing from left to right
    the change in the magnetic field is that it is becoming weaker
    the induced current tries to oppose the change (according to lenz law)
    therefore the induced current must be in the direction which would produce a magnetic field pointing from left to right
    But then how do you work out that the current is anticlockwise- you can't use flemings right hand rule because you don't know the direction the coil is being rotated

ReputationRep:
    But then how do you work out that the current is anticlockwise- you can't use flemings right hand rule because you don't know the direction the coil is being rotated
    in section 5.B you should be looking at fig 5.3

the rotating coil was shown in fig 5.1 which was for section 5.A

ReputationRep:
    in section 5.B you should be looking at fig 5.3

the rotating coil was shown in fig 5.1 which was for section 5.A
    I know that fig 5.1 is not linked to this part but I still don't know how when the field is collapsing you can work out the direction of the induced current just by one piece of information- (the north and south poles of the magnet)

ReputationRep:
    I know that fig 5.1 is not linked to this part but I still don't know how when the field is collapsing you can work out the direction of the induced current just by one piece of information- (the north and south poles of the magnet)
    Name:  righthandgrip.png
Views: 90
Size:  100.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    You have the direction of the magnetic field..

-\frac{\Delta \phi}{\Delta t}=EMF

Where \phi=\displaystyle \int B . dA

ReputationRep:
    Name:  righthandgrip.png
Views: 90
Size:  100.8 KB

Thank you so much for putting so much effort into explaining that to me. I really understand it now- I never even thought of using the Right hand grip rule.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.