The Student Room Group

Central fringe physics !!

A narrow beam of light is directed normally at a slit.
a) blue filter placed in the path of a beam before it reaches the slit. distance across 5 fringes including the central fringe = 18mm find the width of the central fringe
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by ashg99
A narrow beam of light is directed normally at a slit.
a) blue filter placed in the path of a beam before it reaches the slit. distance across 5 fringes including the central fringe = 18mm find the width of the central fringe

The central fringe is double the width of the other fringes, so we can take the total width of 5 fringes including the central fringe to be equal to 6 "outside fringes"

18/6 = width of subsidiary fringes = 3mm

because central fringe = 2xsubsidary fringes
= 2*3 = 6mm

If you then add 3+3+6+3+3 (the widths of all the fringes in order, the answer = 18mm, so central fringe = 6mm

(I hope this makes sense, it did to me haha)
Reply 4
Original post by jakepds
The central fringe is double the width of the other fringes, so we can take the total width of 5 fringes including the central fringe to be equal to 6 "outside fringes"

18/6 = width of subsidiary fringes = 3mm

because central fringe = 2xsubsidary fringes
= 2*3 = 6mm

If you then add 3+3+6+3+3 (the widths of all the fringes in order, the answer = 18mm, so central fringe = 6mm

(I hope this makes sense, it did to me haha)

Thanks mate it did make sense. LoL

Quick Reply

Latest