Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% sure if this is the right forum area to ask this so I'm sorry in advance if it isn't.

Long story short, my PC isn't that great anymore with all the next-gen games coming out and I'm debating whether it would be better for me to upgrade my computer or simply buy a new one. Current specs are as follows:

AMD fx(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50GHz
    8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX 650

I would be wanting a GTX 970 card as I want to be able to play Fallout 4 seamlessly and other games such as modded Skyrim with high FPS.

Would simply buying a new graphics card be a good enough improvement (I'd need a new computer case and power supply I assume) or should I just buy a whole new rig?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJWise)
    Not 100% sure if this is the right forum area to ask this so I'm sorry in advance if it isn't.

Long story short, my PC isn't that great anymore with all the next-gen games coming out and I'm debating whether it would be better for me to upgrade my computer or simply buy a new one. Current specs are as follows:

8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX 650

I would be wanting a GTX 970 card as I want to be able to play Fallout 4 seamlessly and other games such as modded Skyrim with high FPS.

Would simply buying a new graphics card be a good enough improvement (I'd need a new computer case and power supply I assume) or should I just buy a whole new rig?

Thank you.
    I would upgrade. Not worth buying a new rig, in my opinion.

With gaming the graphics card is like 90% of performance as long as you have an ok processor and decent ram. Even if you get a Gtx 970 your system will still be gated by the graphics card and not the processor.

A 6300 will run the GTX 970 just fine. You'll have to check the power requirements to see if you need to upgrade your PSU.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJWise)

8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX 650

Thank you.
    The point is, if you build a new computer you'll need new things like PSU and larger case anyway, so why not incrementally upgrade it? Perhaps you don't need a completely new computer.

If you build your own computer then things like PSU and case are usually worth the expense, as they don't typically require further upgrading in the future (assuming you get a reasonable size case and powerful enough PSU to ensure they are somewhat futureproof).

So let's say you get the Graphics card first, and see if it fits and has sufficient power. If not then proceed to get the case and PSU. I'm not sure about AMD processors but seems your CPU is neither great nor bad according to benchmark scores. If you find it still lacking then yes, time to get new Mobo and CPU. You'll end up with a new computer eventually and it'll always be more powerful, cheaper and personalised if you shop for the best prices for each component than paying a company for a prebuilt one

ReputationRep:
    Well, personally I'm not a fan of AMD... AMDs' are known to have cooling issues... Go for an Nvidia... anything above GTX960 should play most current-gen games at high settings. 8GB RAM should be plenty. If you've got the money to spend, buy a new rig... if not a simple GPU upgrade would suffice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.