Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I just thought I'd make a post about my experience volunteering abroad on a psychology placement, for anyone who is interested in gaining some hands on experience in mental health.

I spent 3 months volunteering in Sri Lanka on a mental health placement with SLV. This involved taking part in a range of voluntary projects each week. I spent some time volunteering in a psychiatric facility organising therapeutic activities; which was challenging but definitely something I really enjoyed. I also volunteered in a few different schools for children and adults with special needs where I ran activities and taught English. Finally I also got some great teaching experience by teaching English in the community to both adults and children.

I loved my experience there - it meant I could travel which was something I really wanted to do, whilst also gaining some great experience in the mental health field. It was definitely an experience which challenged me but I found it really rewarding as well. The experience has also been really relevant for me since I got back; helping me gain a place on my masters course which I'm doing at the moment as well as helping me get a bursary for it! I'd really recommend looking into it for anyone who's interested in gaining some psychology work experience and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

ReputationRep:
    How old were you when you did it?
    Also is there a link you could post to the website that runs it?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theblackparade27)
    How old were you when you did it?
    Also is there a link you could post to the website that runs it?
    Thanks!
    I'd just finished university when I went out, so I was 21. But I know they accept applications from anyone over 18 who's got an interest in psychology.

And the website is www.slvolunteers.com - there's a lot more information on there about their placements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.