Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been working as a sales assistant for the past 5 months and I think I'll start looking for a different job in the summer. I don't really want to continue working in retail after this job and I thought I could do a job like admin, nothing too complicated or demanding but with a better salary than what I'm currently earning. Hopefully something that doesn't require people skills or dealing with the public too much. Problem is my computer skills aren't great.
    What do I need to do to start looking for a different job?

ReputationRep:
    I know this isnt one of my more interesting threads but... Bump?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOkQJm_UGM4

You're going to be a cashier someday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOkQJm_UGM4

You're going to be a cashier someday
    Thats great. Any useful advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    I've been working as a sales assistant for the past 5 months and I think I'll start looking for a different job in the summer. I don't really want to continue working in retail after this job and I thought I could do a job like admin, nothing too complicated or demanding but with a better salary than what I'm currently earning. Hopefully something that doesn't require people skills or dealing with the public too much. Problem is my computer skills aren't great.
    What do I need to do to start looking for a different job?
    Hi I was in the same position as you. I worked in retail a few years ago for 3 years and my computer skills weren't even that great (this is still the case even today)!

Then a recruitment consultant from an agency called me out of the blue asking me to register as they (by chance) had an office vacancy to fill, plus they said I didn't need office experience! No interview was involved either (some agencies don't require one) and I started work there straight away.

Ever since then I had so many office jobs and now I earn 20k (sort of above average salary for administration work) just by typing letters into the computer (basically Data Entry). To increase my computer skills I'm now studying ICT course at my local technical college for free (I'm 25 now).

My advice is register at an agency, but the only problem is most do ask for experience because of their clients' demands and agencies don't offer any training to place temp workers onto assignments.

I would suggest do some work experience or volunteering just to get your foot in the door, and they will definitely offer more training too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    Hi I was in the same position as you. I worked in retail a few years ago for 3 years and my computer skills weren't even that great (this is still the case even today)!

Then a recruitment consultant from an agency called me out of the blue asking me to register as they (by chance) had an office vacancy to fill, plus they said I didn't need office experience! No interview was involved either (some agencies don't require one) and I started work there straight away.

Ever since then I had so many office jobs and now I earn 20k (sort of above average salary for administration work) just by typing letters into the computer (basically Data Entry). To increase my computer skills I'm now studying ICT course at my local technical college for free (I'm 25 now).

My advice is register at an agency, but the only problem is most do ask for experience because of their clients' demands and agencies don't offer any training to place temp workers onto assignments.

I would suggest do some work experience or volunteering just to get your foot in the door, and they will definitely offer more training too.
    Thanks. I've already spent a lot of my time volunteering and I think now I need to be in a paid job. Otherwise it would be taking a step backwards.
    Though I have been left wondering today if I'm ever going to have a job where I don't feel stupid or incompetent. Just wish there was something I was really good at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.