Turn on thread page Beta

Learning to play a musical instrument watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Learn the saxophone! It is easy, fun, modern, and just great!

I played piano before I started learning saxophone, so all I had to do was get my embrouchure (sp?) right and tada! I was playing grade 5 pieces in a month. Saxophone is far cooler than Clarinet, god knows what that is such a popular instrument!

I think everyone should be able to play the piano, because once you've mastered that, everything else seems easy. If you're having a gap year, I would definately suggest getting piano lessons. And rent a saxophone too, so you can get going with that.

I want to learn the guitar during my gap year, so if anyone knows of any books/videos/websites that are good, i'd appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Pick which ever instrument you feel most drawn to...then you will be more inclined to practise and therefore get better

I taught myself piano/keyboard...basic chords etc...that wasn't too difficult...
    But its up to you!!
    Now i'm teaching myself bass guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    ????????????

I recommend you buy a little book called "Bartok: an analysis of his music" by erno lendvai (top ethnomusicologist). I promise it will change your mind.

MB
    there are only so many hours you can spend in mikrokosmos. even bela starts to suck eventually however right on his politics

ReputationRep:
    Oh and about the keyboard/piano thing...keyboards are yuck. They're ok for some pieces, especially if you're into pop songs and stuff. The piano has more note-by-note control and allows for more variation in dynamics.[/QUOTE]

the piano is better than the keyboard, but the violin is better than the piano. you can hardly get any dynamic variation on the "pianoforte" (as if) compared to the violin.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ThunderCat8]Learn the saxophone! It is easy, fun, modern, and just great!

learn the saxophone and limit yourself to the boring twentieth century. great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    learn the saxophone and limit yourself to the boring twentieth century. great
    Well, that isn't true. There are adaptations for Saxophone of all different pieces. I was playing something by Bach recently. It sounded pretty nifty I might just add!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    the piano is better than the keyboard, but the violin is better than the piano. you can hardly get any dynamic variation on the "pianoforte" (as if) compared to the violin.
    Oh, but you can get dynamic variation on the piano! Perhaps you haven't heard it played well; in the right hands it is an amazingly expressive instrument. I think you do need to be quite good at it before you can get all of its expression out if it; but then you have to be very good to play any stringed instrument without it sounding disgusting so it evens out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Oh, but you can get dynamic variation on the piano! Perhaps you haven't heard it played well; in the right hands it is an amazingly expressive instrument. I think you do need to be quite good at it before you can get all of its expression out if it; but then you have to be very good to play any stringed instrument without it sounding disgusting so it evens out
    That's true. The piano can have amazing variation! Especially with the pedals, the hands etc. Honestly, I think you haven't heard it played the way it should be

And oops this is directed to the previous poster.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definately, there's alot you can do with dynamics on the keys. It sounds impossible seeing as the key is either just up or down, but there is a big difference between someone just pressing the keys and someone who's really playing the piano.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Learn the saxophone! It is easy, fun, modern, and just great!

I played piano before I started learning saxophone, so all I had to do was get my embrouchure (sp?) right and tada! I was playing grade 5 pieces in a month. Saxophone is far cooler than Clarinet, god knows what that is such a popular instrument!

I think everyone should be able to play the piano, because once you've mastered that, everything else seems easy. If you're having a gap year, I would definately suggest getting piano lessons. And rent a saxophone too, so you can get going with that.

I want to learn the guitar during my gap year, so if anyone knows of any books/videos/websites that are good, i'd appreciate it.
    clarinet is popular because it has a lovely tone and there are lots of great pieces for all abilities, plus it's great for jazz. also, it's more difficult to play than sax, so better to start on that because then you can play sax, whereas it's much harder to go the other way round. i play both but i much prefer clarinet. would like a tenor sax though!

ReputationRep:
    Why not learn the guitar and the harmonica at the same time, grow your hair long, stop shaving and taking showers and then you can go play in a subway station and make a living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Why not learn the guitar and the harmonica at the same time, grow your hair long, stop shaving and taking showers and then you can go play in a subway station and make a living.
    LOL that isn't going to get u anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    Whaaat?? You could become the new Neil Young!

ReputationRep:
    imho the piano is just the most beautiful instrument to play well (which i do astonishingly badly considering i have been playing for 10 years... to have not done my grade 8 by now is pretty shocking). i took up playing the flute about 3 years ago and im taking my grade 7 on friday... (eek i cant play the pieces!!), which just goes to show you that once you learn one instrument and learn the notation/clefs etc, subsequent instruments can be learned much more easily! so just start with the one you like the look of the most, there will be plenty more to try if you don't like it.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I've been playing the piano for 14 years now, and not on grade 8 either, so you're doing far better than I am! I still need to find the motivation to do grade 8 - the amount of scales you have to learn and the aurals, its shocking. Wow you've progressed really quick on the flute, grade7 in 3 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I really want to play a musical instrument, I finally have the time now that I have finished my A levels and am taking a gap year . I have no music expertise and do not know how to read music.
    Generally how much are lessons from a professional teacher? I don't have a lot of money at the moment, so having lots of lessons maybe a problem. I assume that you can teach a lot to yourself.
    I've always wanted to play the Violin but I have heard that it is a very challenging instrument to play and expensive to buy; so I was thinking maybe the keyboard (would prefer piano but way too expensive/large). Any advice on getting started?

Thanks

you have got to understand that playing any kind of instrument is going to be challenging. yes, the violin is hard, but trying to get a note out of the flute is a challenge on it's own. im a flortist and can also play the piano. i would say that you need a lot of dedication to your instrument. a lot of time will have to go into playing it. i really love music, so i always love practising.
    i definately think go violin. i always wanted to play the flute and it so helps if you already love the instrument. remember that playing the piano, you will have to be able to read two clefs as well as take note of the dynamic marking, articulation etc...
    but i would go violin as it seems you have a love for it. as a musician, i would say it would be easier than playing the piano, but the choice is yours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    on the contrary, my sister earns £30 an hour busking, more at christmas. she plays viola/violin though...doesn't have long greasy hair...but still, that's good dosh!

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would start with the piano. Even though it is difficult you can play a wide range of pieces from all different styles. Also it is easy to get started on other instruments but it takes a while before you can start playing good pieces and its hard to get over that hurdle when you can start playing well instantly.

The clarinet is ACE! But a bit sweaky at first. It is also really easy to move on to other insturments because all the saxaphones, flute and recorder (plus possibly more woodwind) have the same fingering! Is also plays all styles as well as solos, big bands, marching bands and orchestras! Who could want more from an instrument!

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, i started playing the keyboard i year 9 - im in year 11 and im going to take grade 5 tomorrow! Ahh people say keyboard is easy but im a bit stuck on my grade pieces! I doubt i'll pass but it is fun learning the keyboard.
    Does anyone know how strict grade examiners are? I need 65/100 to pass each song is worth 25 and im stuck on about 1 and 1/2 of of another song! :rolleyes: I didnt want to take the grade untill NOv. but my teacher couldnt move the grade.
    SOrry for such a stupid question!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I really want to play a musical instrument, I finally have the time now that I have finished my A levels and am taking a gap year . I have no music expertise and do not know how to read music.
    Generally how much are lessons from a professional teacher? I don't have a lot of money at the moment, so having lots of lessons maybe a problem. I assume that you can teach a lot to yourself.
    I've always wanted to play the Violin but I have heard that it is a very challenging instrument to play and expensive to buy; so I was thinking maybe the keyboard (would prefer piano but way too expensive/large). Any advice on getting started?

Thanks
    I wouldn't advise keyboard as there aren't a lot of things you can do if u can play one really - the piano is much better really but if it's out of the question....u could consider something like the flute or clarinet or something?? Just depends on what u fancy.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.