Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Learning to play a musical instrument watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The guitar is, in my opinion, very easy to pick up (I've taught myself from chord books and reading tabs is much easier than sheet music). This said, if you're not going to start off with sheet music, then it will only be harder if/when you need to read sheet music. The piano is a wonderful instrument, which I have started teaching myself recently. I would love to be able to play the violin, maybe I will when I've got more time.

Oh, the organ is cool too, and a bit different. But not as good as the piano imo.

Aaargh, I'm rambling. Just choose an instrument and learn it - as long as you put in the time, you won't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyinghorse)
    Oh, the organ is cool too, and a bit different. But not as good as the piano imo.
    It is only really useful if you are into liturgical music or messaien or stuff like that. You also have to practice in cold church halls (usually on an instrument that hasn't been serviced for 20 years). It is a very difficult instrument as the player has a lot to think aabout - stops, pedals, keyboards. It is also difficult to be very expressive with.

MB

ReputationRep:
    laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa doop be bop da bop

don't bother to learn how to play an instrument, way too much hassle: learn to sing, the most portable instrument of all. very versatile. hindemith exercises are good for perfecting your pitch, rhythm etc.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this but does anyone know of any websites that have free score downloads on??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this but does anyone know of any websites that have free score downloads on??
    http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/

Check that out...i'm assuming you mean classical music...

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/

Check that out...i'm assuming you mean classical music...

G
    Cool, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I learned the keyboard for about 4 years and then switched to the piano and now I wish I had done the piano from the beginning, 'tis a great instrument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Cool, thanks!
    No problem...it's a great site...for all your classical music needs

G

ReputationRep:
    Learn the sax...join a jazz band....and play in smoky nightclubs and bars in New Orleans.....who knows....maybe even change your name to Bleeding Gums Murphy....

Serously though....if you like jazz..sax is the only instrument you should consider!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Learn the sax...join a jazz band....and play in smoky nightclubs and bars in New Orleans.....who knows....maybe even change your name to Bleeding Gums Murphy....

Serously though....if you like jazz..sax is the only instrument you should consider!

G
    TBH jazz theory is better learnt on the piano. All the jazzers I know play piano aswell.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    TBH jazz theory is better learnt on the piano. All the jazzers I know play piano aswell.

MB
    Yeh...i know what you mean..learning the jazz scale and stuff....but the sax is sooooo much cooler!!

I love the piano though as well...just not for playing jazz...

G

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.