Specksavers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi.

There are a few Micro multiple choice questions where I can't figure out why the answer is correct.

1. A free good has which one of the following characteristics? (Answer: A)
    1. A It has no opportunity cost in supply.
    2. B It is generally supplied by the government because its consumption is considered tobe socially desirable.
    3. C It has no externalities associated with its consumption or production.
    4. D It is in perfectly inelastic supply.

Surely it does have opportunity cost in supply? If more free goods are supplied then there will be less resources to make other goods?
A government imposes an indirect tax on a product. The price of the product is likely torise by the full amount of the tax if the price elasticity of (Answer: A)
  1. A supply is perfectly elastic.
  2. B supply is perfectly inelastic.
  3. C demand is unit elastic.
  4. D demand is perfectly elastic.

If supply is perfect elastic, then any change in price would cause demand to fall to 0. No producer would increase the price if there is going to be no demand?

Thanks.
rhindes71
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
About the first question: if the good has no opportunity cost, that means that it doesn't use any resources whatsoever, so supplying an infinite amount of them would theoretically have no effect on the resources for other goods. As for the second question, think about the supply curve shifting, not the price. The supply curve of a perfectly elastic good (talking about price elasticity of supply here) would be horizontal, so if it were to be shifted upward, the entirety of the tax would be added to the price.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (92)
38.33%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (26)
10.83%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.75%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise