Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi I'm 19 in first year of uni living there but go back home in the holidays.
    Basically I need to do things like decide whether to stay at uni, if i do, stay on the same or change course, and know what will it mean for money to live on. I may need to buy a house or something as a result of not in uni or working at any time but I dont know... these are all things id ask my parent about aha but theyre unable to answer atm.

I'm googling how to do everything but still feel clueless and dont want to leave decisions too late, is there anywhere I can get more info on what i need to do and the results of them and how to work out when i have enough money and things like that? It sounds silly but i sort of feel lost about everything so just wondered if anyone has anything to say to help. I dont know where's best to start really.

Im also clueless about which career or course types to do after endless research on them all so maybe i should be focussing more on hobbies rather than school subjects... im open to try different jobs to see if experience helps.

thanks

first year of uni too. and already i hate my course, was going to drop out but will try and stick it out for first term.
    it's kinda strange that they expect us to leave high school with no real world experience and know what we want to do. it doesn't really give you much basis for a solid decision.
    i don't really know you, or what you want but in any case: don't be a slave to the system, to money, to social stigmas. just do you. happiness and love is seriously all we have in this world. don't trade that for anything.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    first year of uni too. and already i hate my course, was going to drop out but will try and stick it out for first term.
    it's kinda strange that they expect us to leave high school with no real world experience and know what we want to do. it doesn't really give you much basis for a solid decision.
    i don't really know you, or what you want but in any case: don't be a slave to the system, to money, to social stigmas. just do you. happiness and love is seriously all we have in this world. don't trade that for anything.
    Totally agree that so many lives coud do better for themselves or others if they weren't expected to just make these decisions blindly. I thought I was the problem since everyone seems to have some idea of what to do atm and I don't. So much overthinking it's hard to even answer what my interests are. I don't know what to do I just don't want to mess up Too badly that I don't get the chance to do something I like.
    I wish you al the best with any goals you have too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.