Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys,

I have an overbite and one of my lower 4 incisors sits infront of the rest. I have had all my life My annual checkup shows my mouth is overall clean and healthy. I have only visited the dentist for checkups and the fitting of a cap/filler of one broken tooth. The last time I had the cap replaced was 3 years ago, at which point the dentist said they would fix it permanently when I stopped growing. I am 18 now and in full time education. The overbite and dodgy tooth affect my confidence a fair bit, I notice how much better my jawline looks when I correct it myself, but this isn't permanent. I hope to get this fixed before university. My question is whether I am eligible for treatment under the nhs, seeing as the tooth infront is only cosmetic, I genuinely don't see how they could get it to fit back in anyway as there doesn't appear to be much space. The overbite definitely affects how I look, talk and eat. My teeth are thinner where they grind, and could explain why one of them broke in a relatively minor accident. I'm no dentist.:confused::confused:
    If not, how much do you reckon it would cost privately, and how long do you reckon treatment would last?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

I have an overbite and one of my lower 4 incisors sits infront of the rest. I have had all my life My annual checkup shows my mouth is overall clean and healthy. I have only visited the dentist for checkups and the fitting of a cap/filler of one broken tooth. The last time I had the cap replaced was 3 years ago, at which point the dentist said they would fix it permanently when I stopped growing. I am 18 now and in full time education. The overbite and dodgy tooth affect my confidence a fair bit, I notice how much better my jawline looks when I correct it myself, but this isn't permanent. I hope to get this fixed before university. My question is whether I am eligible for treatment under the nhs, seeing as the tooth infront is only cosmetic, I genuinely don't see how they could get it to fit back in anyway as there doesn't appear to be much space. The overbite definitely affects how I look, talk and eat. My teeth are thinner where they grind, and could explain why one of them broke in a relatively minor accident. I'm no dentist.:confused::confused:
    If not, how much do you reckon it would cost privately, and how long do you reckon treatment would last?

Thanks
    If you're 18 it's unlikely you'll get it on the NHS, particularly if you're not already on the list and it's a relatively minor problem (I obviously don't know if it is or not, depends how big the overbite is!). Ask about it ASAP though, you won't be eligible for much longer even if you are now. Privately it'd be expensive, a few thousand pound probably. It varies a lot how long treatment takes and probably different private to NHS anyway, it's unlikely to be done by September though if that's what you're meaning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.