Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm in Year 12 at the moment, and my head of Sixth is telling us we NEED to do work experience this summer. Suffice to say, I'm stumped as to where to go/what to do.
    I applied to a law firm because I was thinking about maybe doing Law, but discounted that idea in the meantime and I was rejected today.
    Is work experience REALLY necessary for an English Lit + Creative Writing degree? I've had a few things published in online magazines and I'm a monthy contributor for one, so I do have some 'writing' experience.
    Any ideas, suggestions, advice? Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Newspaper, magazine, charity where you can write newsletters? Student newspaper? Think about what you wnat to do. Abt publishers?

Does it have to be subject related?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Newspaper, magazine, charity where you can write newsletters? Student newspaper? Think about what you wnat to do. Abt publishers?

Does it have to be subject related?
    Hey, yeah I'd rather do something where my work can be published and seen, but they're telling us to do 'actual' work experience, e.g. going to a certain place for a week and having a hands on experience.
    They're telling us to make it related to our future uni course/job

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting your local newspaper for some work experience.
    Or you could submit an essay to an essay competition - not sure if there are any on at the moment though
    I don't know what you're interested in but maybe try submitting your work or a piece to an online blog/website that is welcome to having guest writers.
    The guardian have a students website and you could become a student blogger for them - this would be great because of course as a student you'll have something to offer. Here's their link: http://www.theguardian.com/education...gging-students
    OR you could start your own blog on a site like wordpress or blogspot - and speak to other writers to improve your own.
    Hope I helped
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mughushed)
    Hey, yeah I'd rather do something where my work can be published and seen, but they're telling us to do 'actual' work experience, e.g. going to a certain place for a week and having a hands on experience.
    They're telling us to make it related to our future uni course/job
    Yes and those suggestions will be. with people working in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I heard my local skip is accepting applications
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Penguin Random House do 2 week work experience slots - check out their facebook page.

ReputationRep:
    What magazines are these btw? I'm looking for some opportunities to get some experience writing in a professional way. Any help appreciated, thanks. If you're looking for experience for creative writing, you might want to check out WhatCulture.com

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.